Afghanistan: Indian Catholic priest freed after eight months' captivity

Rev Alexis Prem Kumar has been released from captivity.

An Indian Jesuit priest has been released from captivity in Afghanistan after eight months.

Fr Alexis Prem Kumar was working for the Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) as its Afghanistan director when he was abducted by a group of unidentified men in the west of the country while on a visit to a JRS school there.

Based in Herat for the last five years, he had previously served Sri Lankan refugees in the southern India state of Tamil Nadu.

Kumar thanked India's prime minister Narendra Modi for saving his life, saying: "It is because of PM Modi that I am back in India."

The JRS has continued to run educational programmes for displaced people and their host communities in Afghanisation. Regional director Fr Stan Fernandes said: "We were close to the Afghan people before the abduction of Fr Prem and we will continue to accompany them in any way we can."

He added: "Our attention now turns to the welfare of Fr Prem. All of us will do whatever we can to ensure that Prem receives the necessary attention and support from his family, his Jesuit brothers in the Society of Jesus, and his many friends and colleagues in JRS."

Indian citizens and installations in Afghanistan have come under attack on several occasions in recent years.

In Iraq, at least 39 Indian workers are believed to be held hostage by the Islamic State group. India's foreign minister Sushma Swaraj told their relatives on Saturday that the country had "no proof" about whether were dead or alive.

related articles
India: Bishops urge Narendra Modi to stop Hindu mass conversions of Christians
India: Bishops urge Narendra Modi to stop Hindu mass conversions of Christians

India: Bishops urge Narendra Modi to stop Hindu mass conversions of Christians

India: Is Modi trying to win back the Christian vote?
India: Is Modi trying to win back the Christian vote?

India: Is Modi trying to win back the Christian vote?

Narendra Modi pledges to protect Christians following church attacks
Narendra Modi pledges to protect Christians following church attacks

Narendra Modi pledges to protect Christians following church attacks

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.