Americans are celebrating Thanksgiving. Now featuring traditions such as a turkey dinner and family reunions, it's probably been observed since 1621, when the Pilgrim Fathers gathered to give thanks for a good harvest. Thankfulness is a Scriptural principle; God's people have always expressed their thankfulness for his blessings. But the number of times we are told to "be thankful", in one form or another, shows how prone we are to forget what God has done for us.
Here are 10 Bible verses about thankfulness, all from the NIV.
1. Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus (1 Thessalonians 5:18).
2. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures for ever (Psalm 107:1).
3. Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ (Ephesians 5:20).
4. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful (Colossians 3:15).
5. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God (Philippians 4:6).
6. Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful (Colossians 4:2).
7. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him (Colossians 3:17).
8. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name (Psalm 100:4).
9. Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name (1 Chronicles 29:13).
10. I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers (Philemon 1:4).
Follow @RevMarkWoods on Twitter.