Trump Backs Down On Promise To Ban Muslims

Donald Trump no longer supports a total ban on Muslims entering the United States, his running mate said on Thursday.

Vice-presidential candidate Mike Pence, currently governor of Indiana, signalled a shift from one of Trump's most provocative proposals during a round of television interviews.

The Republican presidential candidate first called last December for a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States" following an Islamic State-inspired mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, in which 14 people were killed.

Trump's pledge to ban Muslim immigrants to the US has been branded discriminatory and probably a violation of the US Constitution's guarantee of freedom of religion.

Democrats have used Trump's policy to declare him a bigot.

In recent months, Trump has said he would suspend immigration from countries where Islamist militants are active but has left vague as to whether this amounted to a narrowing or an expansion of his original policy position.

Pence said on Thursday that if elected on November 8, Trump would suspend immigration from "countries that have been compromised by terrorism."

Asked if this amounted to a ban on Muslims, Pence said on MSNBC's 'Morning Joe' show: "Of course not."

On CNN's 'New Day,' Pence was asked why, given that he had been against the ban before becoming Trump's running mate, he was not opposing it now.

"Well, because it's not Donald Trump's position now," replied Pence.

Analysts have noted that Trump's original December 7 statement in which he set out the ban is still on his campaign website.

Additional reporting by Reuters

News
Between two cultures: an Afghan Christian in the Netherlands
Between two cultures: an Afghan Christian in the Netherlands

Esther*, who was born in Afghanistan and raised in the Netherlands after her family fled the country when she was three, speaks to Christian Today about her journey of faith, life between two cultures, and her hopes and fears for Afghanistan’s future.

The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.