Super Moon tonight 2013: June 22 , 23 - Facts about the full 'perigee' moon [VIDEO]
Gaze up at the sky tonight to catch a glimpse of a rare 'super' supermoon, the huge perigee moon that will be shining brightly over this weekend.
The super moon which will occur tonight and on June 23, will appear to be bigger than the average full moon as it will be lined up with the sun perfectly so that the moon will appear to be brighter and bigger.
The moon will be at its closes point to Earth on June 23 at 7:32 a.m. EDT but will appear just as big tonight.
This weekend's super moon is known as a "perigee" full moon, which means that it's orbit is closes to the center of Earth in a month. Full moons do no necessarily happen during a perigee but when it does, it means the sun, earth and moon align. Another super moon like this will not be seen until August 2014.
The perigee and full moon this month will only be an hour apart.
Sunday's super full moon means that the moon will be 221,824 miles away from Earth. The period where the moon orbits furthest from Earth is called an apogee. In an apogee, the moon is 30,000 further away from this point.
According to NASA scientists, this weekend's super moon will appear 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than a regular full moon.
The best time to view the 'super' super moon will be around sunset and into the evenings on June 22 and 23 bearing that the night sky is clear and void of clouds.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- 6 Ways Practically To Step Out In Courage
- Why Are Evangelicals So Bad At Dealing With Doubt?
- 3 ways Jesus challenges authority
- Is Lindsay Lohan Converting To Islam? Actress Denies Move After Posting Arabic Peace Message On Social Media
- Four evangelistic approaches which probably don't work
- Christian Movie Producer Mark Burnett On Ben Hur And The Forgiveness Of Christ
- Christian Gospel Star Travis Greene To Perform At Donald Trump Inauguration
- Pendant Similar To That Worn By Anne Frank Unearthed In Nazi Concentration Camp
- Five Evangelistic Ideas That Might Actually Work
- McDonald's Vatican Branch Offers Free Meals to the Homeless
- Istanbul Nightclub Gunman Arrested - Turkish Officials
- Russell Moore Blasts White Supremacy As 'Cruelly Cunning'
- 'His Glory Is On The Church': Syrians Converting To Christianity Amid Brutal Persecution
- Iraq Church Used As Shooting Range By ISIS Jihadis
- 'We See The Glass Half-Full': Aide To Palestinian President Welcomes Jared Kushner As Peace Envoy