Super Moon tonight 2013: June 22 , 23 - Facts about the full 'perigee' moon [VIDEO]
Gaze up at the sky tonight to catch a glimpse of a rare 'super' supermoon, the huge perigee moon that will be shining brightly over this weekend.
The super moon which will occur tonight and on June 23, will appear to be bigger than the average full moon as it will be lined up with the sun perfectly so that the moon will appear to be brighter and bigger.
The moon will be at its closes point to Earth on June 23 at 7:32 a.m. EDT but will appear just as big tonight.
This weekend's super moon is known as a "perigee" full moon, which means that it's orbit is closes to the center of Earth in a month. Full moons do no necessarily happen during a perigee but when it does, it means the sun, earth and moon align. Another super moon like this will not be seen until August 2014.
The perigee and full moon this month will only be an hour apart.
Sunday's super full moon means that the moon will be 221,824 miles away from Earth. The period where the moon orbits furthest from Earth is called an apogee. In an apogee, the moon is 30,000 further away from this point.
According to NASA scientists, this weekend's super moon will appear 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than a regular full moon.
The best time to view the 'super' super moon will be around sunset and into the evenings on June 22 and 23 bearing that the night sky is clear and void of clouds.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
Ex-ISIS child soldier recalls horror of seeing kids playing with severed heads of executed prisoners
ISIS has been known to exploit children and hone them into soldiers and assets for the group. One of them was a boy named Ibrahim, a former ISIS soldier whose horrific experience with the militant group are forever etched on his mind.
- What do you do when you just don't like someone?
- The dress code for a disciple of Christ
- Denmark: Friday prayers held at Scandinavia's first female-led mosque
- It's not Christian to be nice
- Christian Small Group: The rejected TV pilot
- Earthquakes and floods: Is God punishing people?
- Does money really stop us getting into heaven?
- The Bible study method that helps small groups really work
- Revelation 2: Has the church lost its first love?
- Couple lose child against their wishes after court lifts temporary halt on pulling life support
- Church officials in Ghana stand up for residents whose lands are being stolen from them
- Yazidi girl disfigures self by burning her face and body to avoid becoming an ISIS sex slave
- How one youth pastor is bringing hope to persecuted Christians in Iraq
- Anglicans consider new synod to oppose gay marriage
- Full ban on burkinis would stoke tensions, admits French minister