Super Moon tonight 2013: June 22 , 23 - Facts about the full 'perigee' moon [VIDEO]
Gaze up at the sky tonight to catch a glimpse of a rare 'super' supermoon, the huge perigee moon that will be shining brightly over this weekend.
The super moon which will occur tonight and on June 23, will appear to be bigger than the average full moon as it will be lined up with the sun perfectly so that the moon will appear to be brighter and bigger.
The moon will be at its closes point to Earth on June 23 at 7:32 a.m. EDT but will appear just as big tonight.
This weekend's super moon is known as a "perigee" full moon, which means that it's orbit is closes to the center of Earth in a month. Full moons do no necessarily happen during a perigee but when it does, it means the sun, earth and moon align. Another super moon like this will not be seen until August 2014.
The perigee and full moon this month will only be an hour apart.
Sunday's super full moon means that the moon will be 221,824 miles away from Earth. The period where the moon orbits furthest from Earth is called an apogee. In an apogee, the moon is 30,000 further away from this point.
According to NASA scientists, this weekend's super moon will appear 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than a regular full moon.
The best time to view the 'super' super moon will be around sunset and into the evenings on June 22 and 23 bearing that the night sky is clear and void of clouds.
An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
- Children Fleeing ISIS In Mosul Find Sanctuary
- Rick Warren: How To Respond When Someone Hurts You
- Why Practising Christian Mindfulness Doesn't Mean Turning Buddhist
- Why The Pope's Historic Trip To Sweden Is So Significant
- Will Christians And Muslims Be Able To Live Side By Side In Iraq After ISIS?
- Sexual Violence: Why Christians Have To Talk About It
- Power Women: The Villagers Standing Up Against Sierra Leone's Rapists
- 3 Ancient Prayers That Will Help You Encounter God In A New Way
- Is Your Giving Doing More Harm Than Good?
- God's Newly Discovered Creations Amaze Scientists: Bizarre New Animals Found Under 'Submerged America'
- Basilica Of The Transfiguration Vandalised And Robbed
- Christians Still At Risk Of Extinction In Iraq Even After Defeat Of ISIS
- I Was Kicked Out Of Turkey For Being A Christian
- Child Refugees From Calais Head For Britain As France Prepares To Demolish Jungle
- Pope Urges Venezuelan Leader To Negotiate With Opposition Amid Crisis