Super Moon tonight 2013: June 22 , 23 - Facts about the full 'perigee' moon [VIDEO]
Gaze up at the sky tonight to catch a glimpse of a rare 'super' supermoon, the huge perigee moon that will be shining brightly over this weekend.
The super moon which will occur tonight and on June 23, will appear to be bigger than the average full moon as it will be lined up with the sun perfectly so that the moon will appear to be brighter and bigger.
The moon will be at its closes point to Earth on June 23 at 7:32 a.m. EDT but will appear just as big tonight.
This weekend's super moon is known as a "perigee" full moon, which means that it's orbit is closes to the center of Earth in a month. Full moons do no necessarily happen during a perigee but when it does, it means the sun, earth and moon align. Another super moon like this will not be seen until August 2014.
The perigee and full moon this month will only be an hour apart.
Sunday's super full moon means that the moon will be 221,824 miles away from Earth. The period where the moon orbits furthest from Earth is called an apogee. In an apogee, the moon is 30,000 further away from this point.
According to NASA scientists, this weekend's super moon will appear 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than a regular full moon.
The best time to view the 'super' super moon will be around sunset and into the evenings on June 22 and 23 bearing that the night sky is clear and void of clouds.
Here are seven important facts everyone should be aware of regarding Zika Virus.
An evangelical pastor spanked women's bare bottoms to administer "spiritual discipline", a court has been told.
- How 'intentional' are you - with yourself and with God?
- The 99 thoughts you have while listening to a sermon
- Jacques Hamel: The humble priest who was 'treasured' by the community
- Star Trek Beyond: searching for hope in a godless universe
- Controversial evangelist, activist and bestselling 'Left Behind' author dies aged 90
- Scotland's Christian 'saint in the making' Margaret Sinclair to star in new play
- The burning issue: Why the Church has got to start talking about hell
- Come to church this week for poets, rock stars, circus skills and 'champing'
- Lead us not into the temptations of Twitter, warns Pope Francis
- Hillary Clinton victory heralds a new day for women, says Tony Campolo
- Indian Christian forced to 'reconvert' among Hindu extremists' crackdown
- World Youth Day: Hundreds of thousands of young Catholics welcome Pope Francis to Poland
- Syria: Dozens killed in deadly ISIS blast
- Pastor buys dozens of tickets to win assault rifle in raffle – now he'll destroy it
- French Bishops call for day of fasting in response to Jacques Hamel killing