Kidnap victim shuns family: Michele Knight does not want to be seen by family [REPORT]
Ohio kidnap victims Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus have both been released from hospital and have reunited with their families, but the third victim, Michele Knight, has reportedly been shunning her family and remains in hospital.
Knight, 32, has been held captive by Ariel Castro for the longest time among the three victims - a total of 11 years. She is reportedly in good condition at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland but has not yet met any of her family members.
Deborah Knight, the victim's grandmother, told news agencies that she has not yet seen her granddaughter. "No, we haven't – on her request. She does not want to be seen by family," she said, according to Reuters.
However, one of Michele's brothers, Freddie Knight, visited her at the hospital. "Her skin was white as a ghost," he said. "She told me she was excited to start a new life."
But Michele is being left alone by her family until she is ready to see them.
Knight had required additional medical care as she was found with facial injuries and had suffered at least five miscarriages while in captivity. She was reportedly starved and punched in her stomach whenever she fell pregnant by Castro.
Castro, 52, was charged with four counts of kidnapping on May 8. He has also been charged with raping the three women he kidnapped and held captive for around 10 years.
Knight was a single mother at the age of 20 when she was abducted by Castro. Because she was over the legal age of an adult, many dismissed her case as a runaway case. She had vanished after losing a custody battle with child welfare authorities over her son, who was three at the time. Some of her family members thought she had run off after losing custody of her child.
Meanwhile, in other developing news, test results proved that Berry's six-year-old daughter Jocelyn, who was conceived while she was in captivity, belongs to Ariel Castro.
Here are seven important facts everyone should be aware of regarding Zika Virus.
An evangelical pastor spanked women's bare bottoms to administer "spiritual discipline", a court has been told.
- Billy Graham: 5 ways Christians can cope with the 'violence and destruction' all around
- Why we should think twice before singing 'Great is thy faithfulness'
- 'Hold onto Jesus' says priest and recovering alcoholic in video published after his death
- The Holocaust survivors who the Pope met at Auschwitz-Birkenau today
- Tim LaHaye and the end times: What should we believe about the end of the world?
- Analysis: How Hillary Clinton's abortion platform is the most liberal in Democrat history
- Jairus' daughter and the sick woman: What links these two stories?
- Finding Dory review: Beautiful and hilarious but too dangerous for my 10-year-old and 93,468 other children
- Who's backing Trump and who's for Clinton? The battle for evangelical endorsements
- 'Soul' leaving a body in China hospital captured on video?
- Turkey's President Erdogan claims West failed to show solidarity over coup attempt
- North Korea bans imports with markings resembling a cross
- Russian humanitarian operation in Syria may be 'ruse', US says
- U.S. President Barack Obama's Muslim half brother Malik says he's voting for Donald Trump
- Religious accommodations available at Rio Olympics: 5 major faiths to have their own space for worship