'Pacific Rim: Uprising' premiere date, cast news, plot updates: Film loses male lead and original director due to scheduling conflicts

A first look at the new Jaegers from "Pacific Rim: Uprising" Facebook/PacificRimUprising

The sequel to Guillermo del Toro's "Pacific Rim" lost its original director and male lead actor, Charlie Hunnam, due to scheduling conflicts.

"Pacific Rim: Uprising" is set to premiere in 2018. Even though fans of the film are expecting a continuation of the first film's storyline, the sequel might go in a different direction after losing del Toro and Hunnam.

While at the press day for "The Lost City of Z," the actor explained to Den of Geek how he came to the decision to bow out of "Pacific Rim: Uprising."

"There was a huge scheduling conflict ... I was already really, really invested in doing 'Papillion,'" said Hunnam. The actor added that after Legendary Entertainment and "Pacific Rim: Uprising" was sold to Wanda Group, the film's schedules changed and Hunnam could no longer commit.

Technically, Hunnam had to appear in "Pacific Rim: Uprising" due to a contract. However, after having a talk with former Legendary chairman Thomas Tull, they let Hunnam go after realizing that the actor had his heart set on another film.

Even del Toro's commitment to the sequel had been affected because of conflicts in schedule.

In an interview with Collider, del Toro shared that he was caught in between choosing "Pacific Rim: Uprising" and "The Shape of Water," but when it came down to scheduling, del Toro went ahead with the latter.

"The timing started to suck. ... They said, 'We've gotta wait nine months,' and I said 'I'm not waiting nine months, I'm shooting a movie.'"

Del Toro remains a producer in "Pacific Rim: Uprising," but the "Pacific Rim" sequel is now directed by Steven DeKnight, featuring lead actor John Boyega as the son of Idris Elba's Stacker, opposite Caile Spaeny, who has been cast as the female lead in the film.

"Pacific Rim: Uprising" is slated to premiere on Feb. 23, 2018.

 

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.