New England Patriots NFL 2015 roster news: Nate Solder ruled due to torn biceps

 Wikimedia Commons/Jeffrey Beall

The defending Super Bowl champions and still unbeaten New England Patriots were hit by a huge blow as left tackle Nate Solder is out for the season. Solder has been placed on injured reserve due to torn biceps suffered in last Sunday's win over the Dallas Cowboys. 

According to ESPN, Solder sustained the injury when Cowboys defensive end Tyrone Crawford rushed past him and he jumped which extended his right arm "in a compromising position."

Crawford then completed a sack of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who was sacked five times during the game. 

Following the sack, Solder was holding his right arm as he was exiting the field and was replaced by offensive lineman Marcus Cannon, who is expected to take his place for the season. 

Despite the loss of Solder, Pats head coach Bill Belichick remains confident in his likely replacement Cannon, who he said in Wednesday's news conference has been playing well for the team. 

Belichick also stated, "Two years ago when he was in for (right tackle Sebastian) Vollmer, last year the opportunities that he had early in the year, particularly at tackle, and then this year he's played in every game, played a number of snaps in all of our games, so he's always done a good job for us when he's been in there. I'm glad we have him."

ESPN and the Associated Press suggested in their reports that New England can play Cannon as right tackle instead of playing him on the left side, which Vollmer can do now that Solder is sidelined. 

The Patriots will have to make quick adjustments now that one of their most important offensive players is out. 

New England will test its four-game winning streak when it heads to the Lucas Oil Stadium this Sunday for Week 6 action against the Indianapolis Colts. 

The game will be a rematch of last season's American Football Conference (AFC) championship game wherein the "Deflategate" scandal began. 

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
Thousands attend 'March for Jesus' in Belfast
Thousands attend 'March for Jesus' in Belfast

"The atmosphere was full of joy, faith and the presence of God," said organisers.

'Quiet revival' claims 'laid to rest' once and for all as study shows UK churchgoing continues to fall
'Quiet revival' claims 'laid to rest' once and for all as study shows UK churchgoing continues to fall

New figures from the British Social Attitudes survey also show there are no signs of a religious revival among young people. 

Proposed conversion therapy ban comes up against human rights law
Proposed conversion therapy ban comes up against human rights law

Labour wants to ban so-called 'conversion therapy' but critics point out that abusive practices are already illegal.