Vatican graves opened in search for missing girl turn up empty

Two 19th century graves opened at the Vatican on Thursday have offered up no further clues to the disappearance of a schoolgirl missing for 36 years.

Emanuela Orlandi was the 15-year-old daughter of a Vatican bank employee and lived in Vatican City when she went missing on June 22, 1983.

As part of renewed attempts to solve the case, the Vatican agreed to open the graves of two princesses in its Teutonic Cemetery. 

In a further twist to the case, the search of the graves has yielded no results, not even the remains of the two princesses supposed to be buried there. 

"A careful inspection of the tomb of Princess Sophie von Hohenlohe brought to light a large underground space of about 4 meters by 3.70 that is completely empty," said Alessandro Gisotti, interim director of Vatican communications.

"Subsequently, the second tomb, that of Princess Charlotte Frederica of Mecklenburg was opened. No human remains were found inside.

"The relatives of the two Princesses were informed of the outcome of the search." 

The opening of the graves was preceded by a prayer and conducted in the presence of police authorities and the Orlandi family lawyer, as well as her brother Pietro Orlandi. 

Gisotti told reporters that a separate investigation is underway to look into structural work that was carried out in that section of the cemetery at the end of the 19th century and again in the 1960s and 1970s. 

Orlandi's disappearance has puzzled investigators - and fuelled conspiracy theories - for decades, but the search gained renewed impetus after a tip-off earlier this year told the family to "look where the angel is pointing". 

The anonymous letter claimed that Orlandi was buried in the Vatican's Teutonic Cemetery under an angel statue with hands pointing towards the ground.

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.