UFC news 2015: Defending champion Holly Holm to patiently wait for rematch with Ronda Rousey

 [photo: YouTube screen capture/AXS TV Fights]

Last month, Holly Holm shocked the world by knocking out Ronda Rousey to win the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight title, but a rematch between the two will not be happening until July. 

Holm with her superb striking, finished Rousey in their championship fight back in November in just two rounds. 

Unfortunately for the new champion, she needs to play the waiting game before again stepping inside the Octagon. 

Following UFC 193, where Holm won the title, UFC president Dana White said Rousey will get a rematch at UFC 200 which will be held on July 9. 

"The only thing about July is that it's eight months away from my last fight," Holm said about the rematch, according to MMAjunkie. "That's the biggest thing. I don't like to wait that long."

In the report, Holm expressed her desire to stay active and also told MMAjunkie that during her 10-year boxing career, she had four fights each year also saying, "And so to wait eight months, it's out of my norm."

Besides a rematch with Rousey, a possible next fight for Holm is to face top contender Miesha Tate. 

Tate already fought Rousey twice but lost, although along with Holm are the only fighters that made it past the first round facing the former champion. 

But MMAjunkie stated in its report that Holm will be sticking to what the promotion wants. 

UFC commentator Joe Rogan said in his podcast that Holm waiting for the July rematch will be the right decision since it will benefit the champion financially. 

Rogan said Holm's rematch with Rousey will be the biggest fight in the champ's career and may earn her up to $7 million. 

"She doesn't want to wait, she wants to stay active and I totally understand that, and I think it should be her prerogative as a champion to choose. But financially that's the smart move for her because she's going to make the most money," Rogan added. 

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
Thousands attend 'March for Jesus' in Belfast
Thousands attend 'March for Jesus' in Belfast

"The atmosphere was full of joy, faith and the presence of God," said organisers.

'Quiet revival' claims 'laid to rest' once and for all as study shows UK churchgoing continues to fall
'Quiet revival' claims 'laid to rest' once and for all as study shows UK churchgoing continues to fall

New figures from the British Social Attitudes survey also show there are no signs of a religious revival among young people. 

Proposed conversion therapy ban comes up against human rights law
Proposed conversion therapy ban comes up against human rights law

Labour wants to ban so-called 'conversion therapy' but critics point out that abusive practices are already illegal.