Ray Rice and NFL reach settlement after assault incident

Janay and Ray Rice (Photo: ABC News video screenshot)

Former Ravens running back Ray Rice has reached an undisclosed settlement with  the NFL in his wrongful termination suit. 

Rice was cut from the Ravens and indefinitely suspended after video footage of him assaulting his then-fianceé was made public. The suspension was reversed on appeal. 

Criminal charges against the 27-year-old were dropped after his wife, Janay, declined to testify.

Rice had a $35 million contract with the Baltimore team, and sought the $3.5 million back pay he lost last year while suspended. While the terms of the settlement have not been made public, a source close to the matter said the agreement was "fair."

The settlement allows the parties to avoid a grievance hearing and ruling by NFL arbitrator Shyam Das. The hearing was scheduled to begin on Thursday. 

Rice became a free agent after his suspension was vacated in November, when a judge found that he had been truthful with the league about the February assault. 

Judge Barbara Jones ruled that the NFL did not find out about the assault in stages as the public did, and that terminating him after suspending him was "arbitrary."

Sources say Rice continues to train in hopes of being signed to another team, but has not yet been invited to visit our work out with anyone. A source added that the husband and father is realistic about his chances of being re-signed, considering the media firestorm that is likely to follow. 

Rice has been paid $25 million of his five-year, $35 million contract, including a $15 million signing bonus - the largest for a running back in NFL history. 

The couple reportedly turned to God following their very public domestic violence incident in February last year.

TMZ reported that the couple became born-again Christians, and were baptised in March. They also allegedly provide spiritual counselling to other couples.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
A three day journey by canoe to receive life-saving treatment from Mercy Ships
A three day journey by canoe to receive life-saving treatment from Mercy Ships

Most Madagascans cannot afford surgery, even on the rare occasions its available.

Drought insurance helps Nepal families survive food crisis
Drought insurance helps Nepal families survive food crisis

An innovative drought insurance scheme has provided emergency support to hundreds of vulnerable farming families in western Nepal

Britain has become ‘dangerously complacent’ over family breakdown
Britain has become ‘dangerously complacent’ over family breakdown

Dr Harry Benson, Research Director at the Marriage Foundation, said the latest official data on families and households pointed to a “profound social change” that had received little public attention despite long-term consequences for family stability and child wellbeing.

Church of Scotland issues slavery apology
Church of Scotland issues slavery apology

The Church of Scotland General Assembly said it was “grieved beyond telling” for the suffering inflicted.