'Pokémon GO' release date news: Game gets $30 million in funding

Pokemon Go ThePokemonCompany/Niantics

It seems like the augmented mobile phone reality game "Pokémon GO" will come better than expected, after game developer Niantic Inc. is set to receive as much as $30 million to support its mobile game development initiative.

The mobile game developer announced Thursday that they will receive a $30 million investment from its former parent company Google, as well as from Nintendo and The Pokémon Company to continue the development of mobile games like the highly anticipated "Pokémon Go."

According to a blog post written by Niantic founder and CEO John Hanke, the company will initially receive $20 million from the three companies, then an additional $10 million will be provided after they reach "certain milestones." The software firm also revealed that they will be using the funds to continue developing "Pokémon GO" as well as to incessantly update and support their augmented reality massively multiplayer online game "Ingress."

The post also revealed why their investors chose to support them with huge amounts of money. According to The Pokémon Company CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara, they are willing to support Niantic in creating an awesome new social mobile experience. "The Pokémon Company is committed to partnering with companies like Niantic that share the same spirit of community and innovation," The Pokémon Company executive said.

Meanwhile, Google Vice President of Corporate Development Don Harrison said, "Niantic has shown the great potential of mixing geolocation technology, dynamic storytelling, and innovative game design, and we're excited to continue supporting the team on their journey."

"Pokémon GO" was first announced by Niantic early last month, and it will be developed with the help of The Pokémon Company as well as Nintendo. This free-to-play game will deal with players who will go to battles with Pokémons in the real world.

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.