Pentagon admits: North Korea now capable of launching nuclear missiles aimed at US

The US government has acknowledged North Korea's capability to launch long-range nuclear missiles that could reach the United States, but stressed that the Pentagon is adequately prepared for such a possibility.

Admiral Bill Gortney, head of the US Northern Command and the North American Aerospace Defense Command, said he agreed with US intelligence assessments that North Korea possesses nuclear weapons, as well as the capability to miniaturise them and put them on rockets that could reach the United States, according to Reuters.

"We assess that they have the capability to reach the homeland with a nuclear weapon from a rocket," Gortney told an event last week hosted by the Atlantic Council think tank.

According to him, it was very difficult to predict the behavior of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. Nevertheless, the US military is prepared to respond if he were to use a nuclear weapon against the homeland, the admiral said.

"We're ready for [Kim], and we're ready 24 hours a day if he should be dumb enough to shoot something at us,'' said Gortney.

"I'm pretty confident that we're going to knock down the numbers that are going to be shot,'' he added.

North Korea's space agency said last month Pyongyang was building a new satellite and readying it for launch, "with any use of a long-range rocket," suggesting that the secretive state has made advances in developing a ballistic missile, said the Guardian.

Pyongyang claimed that its rocket launches are part of a legitimate space programme aimed at putting satellites into orbit. In the past it has also conducted missile tests in defiance of international warnings and sanctions.

Last March, the US Missile Defense Agency reportedly said North Korea could achieve the capability to launch an intercontinental ballistic missile within this year.

On Wednesday, Gortney disclosed that the US military was investing to modernise its current missile defence system, add new sensors and radars to better identify potential missile launches, and drive down the cost of defending against such attacks.

He warned that the failure of the US Congress to pass a budget for fiscal year 2016, or a resumption of mandatory budget cuts, could jeopardise the funding needed for such efforts.

related articles
'No kindness towards strangers': Defector describes forbidding life in North Korea

'No kindness towards strangers': Defector describes forbidding life in North Korea

South Korea condemns North over land mine blast, threatens retaliation
South Korea condemns North over land mine blast, threatens retaliation

South Korea condemns North over land mine blast, threatens retaliation

Defector reveals life in North Korea, \'the most dangerous place to be a Christian\'
Defector reveals life in North Korea, 'the most dangerous place to be a Christian'

Defector reveals life in North Korea, 'the most dangerous place to be a Christian'

North Korea ready for war after exchange of artillery fire
North Korea ready for war after exchange of artillery fire

North Korea ready for war after exchange of artillery fire

70 years of oppression: Why it\'s still so dangerous to be a Christian in North Korea
70 years of oppression: Why it's still so dangerous to be a Christian in North Korea

70 years of oppression: Why it's still so dangerous to be a Christian in North Korea

News
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology

The Alliance Defending Freedom warns of more such arrests if the government introduces its much-maligned definition of 'anti-Muslim hatred'.

Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?
Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?

17 February 2026 is Shrove Tuesday, the traditional day for eating pancakes before the start of Lent. This is the story …

CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs
CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs

Most CoE choirs currently have no children involved.

Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal
Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal

A Christian social worker whose offer of a job was withdrawn over public comments he made about marriage and sexuality has won his case at appeal.