Manny Pacquiao next fight rumors 2015: Retirement plans after one more fight in 2016?

Manny Pacquiao (Photo: Twitter/Manny Pacquiao)

The boxing world might bid farewell to one of the greatest fighters of this generation as rumors claim Manny Pacquiao is looking to leave the sport following one more fight which will be in 2016. 

Last Monday in the Philippines, Pacquiao who is currently a congressman in his home nation, declared that he will be running for senator in the country's election which will be held in May of 2016. 

In an interview with ANC's "Headstart" early this week, Pacquiao discussed his possible retirement from boxing to focus on being a senator if ever he wins. 

The eight-division champion cited his age (36 years old) also believing that after 20 years in the sport, he is ready to hang the gloves. 

"If you are a senator, your focus should only be your job and your family," Pacquiao stated. "I will have to give up the other things that require my attention."

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum said Pacquiao will likely be fighting in the last week of February or the first two weeks of April facing British slugger Amir Khan who they are having great negotiations with. 

Of course, the Filipino boxing icon was asked regarding a possible rematch with rival Floyd Mayweather Jr. to whom he lost via unanimous decision last May. 

Pacquiao responded saying as for now he still cannot say if there will be a rematch but according to Agence France Presse, the Filipino is having talks for a second fight with Mayweather or a bout with Amir Khan.

Yahoo Sports added that Arum was unaware of the report regarding Mayweather, who he considers as retired and will not be fighting in the Middle East as the report suggests. 

Mayweather declared before his September win over Andre Berto that following the bout, he will be leaving the sport to give way to younger boxers. 

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
Thousands attend 'March for Jesus' in Belfast
Thousands attend 'March for Jesus' in Belfast

"The atmosphere was full of joy, faith and the presence of God," said organisers.

'Quiet revival' claims 'laid to rest' once and for all as study shows UK churchgoing continues to fall
'Quiet revival' claims 'laid to rest' once and for all as study shows UK churchgoing continues to fall

New figures from the British Social Attitudes survey also show there are no signs of a religious revival among young people. 

Proposed conversion therapy ban comes up against human rights law
Proposed conversion therapy ban comes up against human rights law

Labour wants to ban so-called 'conversion therapy' but critics point out that abusive practices are already illegal.