Madeleine Suspect Denies Abduction: 'I am a Scapegoat'

The first formal suspect announced by police in the investigation into the abduction of Madeleine McCann has denied he took the child, saying he has been made into a "scapegoat".

|PIC1|Robert Murat, a former property developer, has spoken out against accusations that he abducted Madeleine.

Portuguese police questioned Murat for a prolonged period and searched the man's house as it stepped up its international campaign to find the missing British girl. Following Murat's release, the police told reporters that they did not have enough evidence to formally arrest or charge their suspect.

Murat said he would now only survive the ordeal if Madeleine's abductor was caught to clear his name.

The developments came as Madeleine's uncle and aunt John and Philomena McCann started to lobby MPs and Lords in Parliament to support their cause.

Forensic experts searched Murat's house, which is less than a minute's walk from where Madeleine disappeared, while the suspect was detained for questioning.

Speaking to Sky News the suspect said: "This has ruined my life and has made things very difficult for my family here and in Britain. The only way I will survive this is if they catch Madeleine's abductor.

"I have been made a scapegoat for something I did not do."

Murat's residence is actually his mother's villa, and was only one of five properties in the area of Praia Da Luz which was searched.

Last week, Gerry McCann revealed that he and his wife were receiving help from a trauma consultant and were keeping a positive outlook. He said, "Until we have concrete evidence to the contrary we believe Madeleine is safe and being looked after."

Close friends of the family have said "a tidal wave" of devastation has torn the couple apart but that they have been gaining strength from the support of family, friends and the many church services they have attended.

Mrs McCann has regularly visited the local church, where congregation members have offered their support and prayers. Last week, she struggled to hold in her emotions as the vicar led prayers for her daughter.

Father Haynes Hubbard prayed: "We give to you little Madeleine, and ask your protection on her, we ask your grace to be upon her."

Last Saturday - Madeleine's 4th birthday - the missing girl was added to the usual prayers as 300,000 attended a service at Fatima in central Portugal on the 90th anniversary of the famous 'Fatima visions' in which the Virgin Mary is said to have appeared to three peasant children.
related articles
Parents of Abducted Girl Call for Prayers at Church Service

Parents of Abducted Girl Call for Prayers at Church Service

£1m Reward Offered for Missing Madeleine

£1m Reward Offered for Missing Madeleine

Madeleine Parents Ask for Continued Prayers for Safe Return

Madeleine Parents Ask for Continued Prayers for Safe Return

Madeleine's Parents Stay Strong in Faith and Hope

Madeleine's Parents Stay Strong in Faith and Hope

News
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology

The Alliance Defending Freedom warns of more such arrests if the government introduces its much-maligned definition of 'anti-Muslim hatred'.

Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?
Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?

17 February 2026 is Shrove Tuesday, the traditional day for eating pancakes before the start of Lent. This is the story …

CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs
CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs

Most CoE choirs currently have no children involved.

Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal
Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal

A Christian social worker whose offer of a job was withdrawn over public comments he made about marriage and sexuality has won his case at appeal.