ISIS news: Russians falsely accuse Americans of helping terrorists

REUTERS/Steffen Kugler/Courtesy of Bundesregierung/Handout via REUTERS
President Donald Trump, Russia's President Vladimir Putin and President of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker talk.

The tension between the nations, Russia and the U.S.A. may have just reached new heights. Members of the Russian Defense Ministry have just accused the U.S. of assisting the Islamic terrorist group, ISIS, and they have even come up with evidence to support their claims. As it turns out, the allegations have been debunked and the image released was actually from a video game.

In a report by The Washington Post, an image was released, depicting a U.S. armored vehicle leading ISIS trucks through a war-torn location in Syria. The image was taken by Russian drones on Nov. 9, while the Syrian forces were fighting to take back the city of Abu Kamal — and were ultimately successful in doing so. This is important since the city grants access to the Euphrates River and is a "key militant stronghold."

The image from the Russian drones was posted all over social media, and has now become viral. The image in question could potentially tarnish the current reputation of the U.S. as the world leading superpower that it currently has. According to Independent, the area where the image was taken was fully controlled by the American forces, which means that the convoy is a deliberate attempt at giving ISIS members' safe passage. However, some netizens on social media expressed that the Russian drone image looked very familiar.

Some pictures that have been released were from a video game called "AC-130 Gunship Simulator: Special Ops Squadron." As of now, the evidence that the Russians have been proliferating are in question as well. The response from people on social media prompted the Russian Defense Ministry to withdraw some of the photographs that they had initially released.

Fox News has reiterated that the Russians have been known to make false allegations in the past. Russian President, Vladimir Putin, had previously shown American director, Oliver Stone, a video from his cellphone of Russian soldiers fighting against ISIS in Syria. However, it was found later that it was a video of American soldiers against the Taliban way back in 2009.

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.