ISIS news: ISIL fighters on their way to Europe?

REUTERS/Stringer
A fighter of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) holds an ISIL flag and a weapon on a street in the city of Mosul June 23, 2014.

Almost 4,000 Islamic State fighters are now moving across Syria and Turkey after a secret deal allowed them to be driven out of their former stronghold in Raqqa and are potentially on their way to Europe. Feared to be among those who escaped are foreign militants who allegedly speak English despite the assurance to the coalition that no foreign fighters would be allowed out of Raqqa, and the U.S. pledge to kill their citizens who identify themselves with the terror group instead of accepting them back home.

According to a report by BBC, the exodus is understood to have been an agreement to spare the Kurdish forces leading the IS on the ground. To clear the former IS stronghold of the surviving jihadists would have meant a fight to the death. However, a truce was negotiated with local leaders to allow the remaining 250 militants and their family members to leave Raqqa. An officer from the Western coalition was reportedly present, but had no hand in the negotiation.

The convoy left on Oct. 12 on their way to a camp situated further north in an ISIS-held territory. It is also said to have been carrying weapons and ammunition.

Witnesses also told BBC that the coalition followed the convoy from the air, dropping flares to help drivers of the 163 vehicles, including buses and lorries, to navigate the road. Also seen were IS fighters carrying AK47s sitting on top of trucks, and some inside trailers.

The coalition forces claim that they do not condone the act of the militants. They had been assured that no more than four foreign fighters are present in the convoy and are all in custody. This is contrary to the report of one of the drivers who were hired to take part in the convoy who claims that there was a huge number of foreign fighters in the exodus.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
Holy Land leader welcomes release of Palestinian Anglican held by Israel
Holy Land leader welcomes release of Palestinian Anglican held by Israel

Many of the details surrounding Layan Nasir's case remain unclear.

Government fund for historic churches opens for submissions
Government fund for historic churches opens for submissions

The government's handling of funding for historic churches has been criticised.

‘We’ve had nothing like this’ - over 30,000 attend historic Franklin Graham evangelical gathering in Belarus
‘We’ve had nothing like this’ - over 30,000 attend historic Franklin Graham evangelical gathering in Belarus

The two-day “Festival of Hope”, organised by Franklin Graham and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA), drew almost 31,000 people to Chizhovka Arena in the Belarusian capital.

Despite minor improvements, Saudi Arabia remains a tough place for Christians
Despite minor improvements, Saudi Arabia remains a tough place for Christians

Officially, conversion from Islam carries the death penalty.