Digital Minister Margot James apologises for delay to age verification checks

 (Photo: Unsplash/Con Karampelas)

Digital Minister Margot James has said she is "extremely sorry" for the prolonged delay to a new age verification scheme designed to protect young people from watching online adult content.

New regulations to force adult websites to check that visitors are 18 and over were due to come into effect on Monday, but they have suffered repeated setbacks, most recently because the UK Government did not properly notify European regulators. 

Ms James told the BBC: "I'm extremely sorry that there has been a delay.  I know it sounds incompetent." 

She added: "Mistakes do happen, and I'm terribly sorry that it happened in such an important area."

Culture Minister Jeremy Wright said last month that the failure to notify the European Commission as required meant that the introduction of the scheme would be delayed by another six months. 

At the time, Christian advocacy group CARE, which strongly supports age checks, said the bureaucratic error was "frankly astonishing".

Responding to Ms James' comments, Sarah Wollaston, chairwoman of the Health and Social Care Committee, said the delay was "outrageous". 

"It's another example of the government failing to protect children and young people," she told the BBC.

"I'm afraid everything in this place is being kicked down the road because of the delays caused by the leadership election and the Brexit process."

A 2015 poll conducted by ComRes for CARE found strong support for the implementation of mandatory age checks not only to view online adult content but to watch R-rated movies like Fifty Shades of Grey online. 

According to the poll, around three quarters of the British public (74%) said that sites providing adult content to the UK – regardless of whether they are actually located in the UK – should be made to put in place age verification checks.  A similar figure (73%) said that age verification should apply to 18 as well as R18 rated films streamed online. 

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.