Devastating earthquake in Italy prompts outpouring of support; Benedictine monks among those affected

Christian groups quickly began mobilising to extend humanitarian assistance to the affected people of Italy following the 6.2 earthquake that struck the central part of their country on Wednesday.

Among those affected by the disaster are the Benedictine monks of Norcia, the Catholic News Agency (CNA) reports. However, it adds that although their monastery buildings were damaged, the monks are all safe and that they will temporarily be relocated to Rome as a precautionary measure.

Medical teams, nurses, and rescue workers from the Italian Aid Corps of the Sovereign Order of Malta were among the first rescuers to reach the affected areas.

The Order of Malta has activated a mobile unit to provide assistance to the affected residents of the badly hit towns of Amatrice and Accumoli. In Arquata del Tronto, its canine unit has been called to help in rescue operations. Its emergency medical team is also working with the Department of Civil Protection in disaster intervention and medical care in Amatrice.

The Vatican City also quickly dispatched six fire brigades for the use of the Italian Civil Protection agency.

Members of Unitalsi, the Catholic aid group for ill Lourdes pilgrims, are returning from their pilgrimage to Lourdes, France to help affected families in Amatrice.

Catholics and members of other Christian denominations have also been encouraged to contribute to the relief effort in Italy. Bishop Javier Echevarría Rodriguez, the prelate of Opus Dei, asked them "to collaborate as much as possible and to help those responsible for organising and bringing relief to those affected."

Social media sites are also being used in the humanitarian undertaking as people offer support and shelter to earthquake survivors through their posts, according to CNA.

Teams of volunteers from around Italy are now in the provinces of Rieti and Ascoli Piceno, extending assistance to affected families.

The number of people killed in the massive earthquake that shook central Italy on Wednesday rose to 267 on Friday and nearly 400 injured people were in hospitals, the Civil Protection Department said, according to Reuters.

It said aftershocks were continuing in the area, with more than 900 aftershocks recorded since the quake struck, 57 of them since midnight.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
related articles
Earthquake devastates central Italy, at least 38 dead
Earthquake devastates central Italy, at least 38 dead

Earthquake devastates central Italy, at least 38 dead

Italy earthquake: Death toll climbs to 247 as rescue continues

Italy earthquake: Death toll climbs to 247 as rescue continues

News
Royal College of Nursing criticised for display of trans flag
Royal College of Nursing criticised for display of trans flag

Typically a flag denotes the ownership of a tribe or group over an area.

Christians call for ceasefire amid DRC's Ebola crisis
Christians call for ceasefire amid DRC's Ebola crisis

So far 131 people have been killed by the outbreak.

Without a culture shift, Christian street preachers will continue to be arrested
Without a culture shift, Christian street preachers will continue to be arrested

Christian street preachers are almost invariably arrested under a section of law that was originally intended to deal with football hooliganism.

Thoughts on Ruth
Thoughts on Ruth

Jewish academic and Hebrew scholar Irene Lancaster reflects on poor judges and famine through the lens of the book of Ruth.