Boko Haram launches fresh attack on key Nigerian city

Islamist insurgents attacked the outskirts of northeast Nigeria's main city Maiduguri on Sunday, engaging in a gun battle with soldiers that killed at least eight people, witnesses and a security source said.

Militant group Boko Haram has killed thousands since it launched its revolt in Maiduguri five years ago and wants the city to become the capital of a separate Islamist state.

"There is heavy gunfire going on. Everybody is panicking and trying to flee the area," said Idris Abubakar, a resident of Polo on the western outskirts of the city.

Growing violence by the insurgents is a major headache for President Goodluck Jonathan who faces elections on February 14 that analysts say are too close to call.

Capturing Maiduguri would be a huge victory for Boko Haram, which currently controls mostly rural areas along the Cameroon and Chad borders that together make up a territory the size of Belgium.

Resident Babagana Lawan said a grenade fell on his house, killing his brother and two factory workers living with him.

A security source confirmed the attack had occurred, but said troops had been mobilized to try to repel the insurgents.

A hospital source said eight bodies had been brought in from the fighting.

Boko Haram has become the main security threat to the stability of Africa's biggest economy and top oil producer, and increasingly threatens its neighbors.

related articles
The changing shape of Boko Haram
The changing shape of Boko Haram

The changing shape of Boko Haram

Boko Haram releases pictures apparently showing child soldier training camp
Boko Haram releases pictures apparently showing child soldier training camp

Boko Haram releases pictures apparently showing child soldier training camp

Nigeria is one of the \'worst places\' for Christians
Nigeria is one of the 'worst places' for Christians

Nigeria is one of the 'worst places' for Christians

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.