'Bad Boys 3' and 'Bad Boys 4' release dates revealed by Sony

The newest installments to the "Bad Boys" franchise are set to hit the theaters 2017 and 2019. Sony Pictures

Sony Pictures has recently announced that the sequels for the American action-comedy film "Bad Boys" will hit the cinemas on 2017 and 2019, respectively.

In a press release, the entertainment accompany has disclosed the list of 16 movies they have been working on, along with their release dates. "Bad Boys 3" and "Bad Boys 4" are set to continue the legacy the franchise has started about two decades ago. Rotten Tomatoes reports that the third installment is set to premiere on Feb. 17, 2017 while the fourth one will be released on July 3, 2019.

Fans enjoyed the signature dark humor brought about by first "Bad Boys" movie in 1995. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence played Miami-Dade detectives Mike Lowrey and Marcus Burnett who were deep investigating a case about stolen drugs in the film. Its sequel was released eight years later in 2003, where both actors reprised their roles as police officers intent on busting the group responsible for flooding Miami with a drug called ecstasy.

"Bad Boys" reportedly grossed over $140 million worldwide, while the sequel movie doubled its earnings with $270 million. Both films were directed by Michael Bay, with Jerry Bruckheimer serving as the producer.

Meanwhile, Smith and Lawrence have yet to confirm whether they will come back as the iconic duo for the newest installments. Movie Pilot posits that with "Bad Boys 3" set for a 2017 release, Will has plenty of time to finish his engagements with "Suicide Squad," his current project, and join his buddy Martin for the sequels.

Cinema Blend also believes that the release dates were set to accommodate Will Smith's schedule after working on David Ayer's movie. Sony was purportedly making sure that "Bad Boys 3" would be the actor's next feature. As for who will direct the newest additions to the franchise, the website said that it was entirely possible that Michael Bay would not be back. Instead, Joe Carnahan, who had been hired by Sony to work on the script last June, may take the helm.

Sony has yet to comment on the said speculations, so fans better stay tuned for the newest updates.

News
Civil rights leader Rev Jesse Jackson dies at 84
Civil rights leader Rev Jesse Jackson dies at 84

The Rev. Jesse Jackson, a longtime civil rights activist and former presidential candidate who garnered controversy over his political activism and personal misconduct, has died at age 84.

Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology

The Alliance Defending Freedom warns of more such arrests if the government introduces its much-maligned definition of 'anti-Muslim hatred'.

Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?
Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?

17 February 2026 is Shrove Tuesday, the traditional day for eating pancakes before the start of Lent. This is the story …

CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs
CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs

Most CoE choirs currently have no children involved.