Sometimes, when we're very low, we want someone to lift us up. We need to be told we aren't as defeated as we think we are. We still have a future and a hope. We are loved. We can be forgiven.
There's getting round the dark valleys, we have to go through them. But the Bible is full of promises to encourage us and strengthen us on the way. Here are 10 of them.
1. I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken (Psalm 16:8)
2. God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging (Psalm 46:1-3)
3. I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word (Psalm 119:25)
4. I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me (Psalm 120:1)
5. Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3:5)
6. You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you (Isaiah 26:3)
7. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid (John 14:27).
8. I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world (John 16:33)
9. For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7)
10. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you (1 Peter 5:7)