Grand Theft Auto 6 release date: rumors include whole USA map, Vice City and female protagonist
Grand Theft Auto 5 certainly has bags of life left in it as Rockstar continues to push out multiple updates, but that doesn't mean fans aren't eager for a new installment.
Rockstar has been very quiet on the topic of a Grand Theft Auto 6, not saying anything about the release date or giving updates to plot, themes, settings or characters.
But there are plenty of rumors circulating, including that the franchise will for the first time have a female protagonist leading the action.
It is also speculated that Rockstar would be ready to push out a Grand Theft Auto 6 some time in 2018 as it is wrapping up "Red Dead Redemption 2" this year, which would free it up to work on an alternative project. Fans are hoping that new project would be Grand Theft Auto 6.
Such a timeline would actually tie in quite nicely with the release of previous GTAs, as GTA 4 rolled out in 2008 followed by GTA 5 in 2013. So it's been four years now since we got GTA 5, so if Rockstar wanted to follow a similar trajectory, 2018 would mean the wait for the next installment came in at exactly five years.
There are plenty of rumors going around as to what we can expect, including a much bigger map than what we saw in GTA 5, which covers the made up city of Los Santos and its surrounding suburbs.
Trusted Reviews speculated that Rockstar may expand the map for GTA 6 to cover the whole of the United States, which would be an exciting prospect.
Leslie Benzie, president of Rockstar North, certainly confirmed that Rockstar isn't done with the franchise and suggested it would be happy to take it in a different direction as they apparently have 45 years worth of ideas to work through.
The setting is certainly interesting and Benzies has been dropping hints while at the same time being non-specific so it seems like it's all to play for. In an interview with Digital Trends back in 2012, Benzies suggested Vice City could appear as a setting in the future.
"It is always a possibility. There are a few references to the city in our current-gen GTAs so it is part of that HD universe, and it is certainly somewhere we would love to revisit. However, Vice City, perhaps more than any other GTA game, was as much about the era as the setting. Miami in the 1980s is so iconic it would feel strange to revisit the city in a different time period," he said.
With heists being a big part of GTA 5, SportsWorldNews speculates that GTA could feature cross-country heists that would allow players to stage heists across several cities at the same time.
These are all certainly very interesting prospects. But just how many of them will turn out to be true?
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- What does 'home' mean to you? Are you like the Son of Man, with nowhere to lay your head?
- Gaming for God: New card game asks the Church 'what is mission?'
- Top musicians are to sing all 150 Psalms in one weekend. What can this teach our world today?
- Was this Catholic cardinal a saint or a pro-Nazi war criminal?
- Canon: How a Bible card game is helping students learn how Scripture began
- Diagnosed with cancer, this Christian got through it by praying and painting Jesus' last day on earth
- The face of Christ? Turin Shroud does contain the blood of a torture victim, research suggests
- Would-be bride turns canceled $30,000 wedding reception into banquet for the homeless
- How the least perfect people are sometimes the most important for God's plan
- Pope Francis makes surprise call to rubbish collector who lost both his legs in collision
- Prince William and Kate meet Salvation Army anti-trafficking worker in Poland
- How this passionate Christian from Samaritan's Purse is helping to save lives in war-torn northern Iraq
- You aren't coming through here: Nuns build chapel to block fracking gas pipeline
- ISIS receipt surfaces in Mosul for sale of 20-year-old woman to jihadi for $1,500
- 16-year-old Christian boy is the latest victim of Pakistan's blasphemy law