Full statement from Free Church minister David Robertson on religious observance in schools
We are of course interested in the Scottish Secular Societies petition to seek to remove the opt-out system for religious worship in public schools.
On the face of it, it appears reasonable. After all who can argue against statistics which show the number of religious people in Scotland declining, the few horror stories of where things have gone wrong, and the bogey man of European Human Rights legislation?
But when you look at the facts in more depth you find that the statistics go against the Scottish Secular Society - they are a tiny group of people who are seeking to impose their will and their philosophy on the vast majority of Scottish parents. It is the tyranny of the minority.
The Human Rights legislation is irrelevant because there is a genuine right already to opt-out.
But more seriously we do not believe that the Scottish Secular Society just intend to create an opt-in system of religious worship.
Their belief and intention is that there should be no religious worship in state schools at all. They just see this as a first step.
In a move loaded with irony, the Edinburgh Secular Society issued a report on 30th August in which they attack School chaplaincies and work of groups such as Scripture Union. It is clear that the secular society wish to eradicate any form of religion in any public school.
Solas CPC, the Free Church, and many other Christian churches and organisations will resist this secular tyranny as much as we possibly can.
We urge the Scottish Parliament to be aware of the wider agenda of the more militant secularists and to stand up for the wishes of the majority of their constituents, who wish to see the traditional link between education and Christianity continued in 21st Century Scotland.
Here are some things we can see in the Samaritan woman's conversation and exchange with the Lord Jesus.
Our mouth is precious to God. Christ died to pay for its iniquities and rose from the grave to infuse it with life-giving power: His words and teachings. Our mouth belongs to the Lord, and we are tasked with stewarding it well. Someday, we'll all be judged using the words we have spoken. Here are three reasons to tame your tongue.
- Moonlight Star Speaks Of Abuse After Converting From Christianity To Islam
- What I Learned At Soul Survivor's #NaturallySupernatural Conference
- Not Ashamed Of The Gospel: How Paul Still Speaks To Us Today
- Fixer Upper Stars Launch New Wallpaper Range – 'They Completely Transform A Room'
- Why Lion Should Be Crowned King At The Oscars
- 5 Flawed Rulers In The Bible Who God Used To Do Good
- Christian Mum Blogger Announces Engagement To Football Star Abby Wambach
- This Alabama Church Wants To Set Up Its Own Police Force
- 'Supergroup' Of Chorister Kids Releases Album Of Choral Classics
- China Arrests 4 South Korean Missionaries, Expels 32 More After Raids on Churches
- Captured ISIS Militant Freely Admits Raping 200 Women From Iraqi Minorities, Says It Was 'Normal'
- Iraq Poised For Disaster As 750,000 Civilians Remain Trapped In ISIS-Held Mosul
- ISIS Releases New Video Calling For Slaughter Of Egyptian Christians
- Christian Leaders Protest Franklin Graham Visit: He 'Compromises Jesus's Mission Of Justice And Love For All
- ISIS Drowns 13 Civilians, Execute 8 Others In Mosul, Kirkuk On Charges of Collaborating With The Enemy