Emma Coronel Aispuro PHOTOS: El Chapo Guzman's wife was arrested with drug lord
Mexico's most wanted drug lord Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman was finally captured this weekend, but many were curious as to where his former beauty queen wife Emma Coronel was at the time of his arrest.
An unidentified woman was arrested alongside El Chapo on Saturday, Feb. 22, but and there was speculation that the woman was indeed be El Chapo's wife.
Officials have confirmed that the woman who was with him at the time of his arrest was Emma Coronel. The fugitive was reportedly cooking for his wife when the Mexican marines barged into beachside condo.
El Chapo, 55, headed the most powerful drug-trafficking cartel, known as the Sinaloa cartel. He was listed by Forbes as one of the most powerful people, with an estimated $1 billion net worth.
Emma Coronel is the third wife of the drug lord. She was just 18 years old when she caught the eye of the billionaire drug-lord in 2007 after winning a beauty contest. In 2011, gave birth to their twin daughters in California. Coronel is both an American and Mexican citizen.
Coronel was under the U.S. authority's radar but they were unable to do anything as she was a U.S. citizen and had not broken any laws herself.
El Chapo was previously arrested in 2001, but somehow managed to escape from Mexico's Puente Grande prison in a laundry basket before authorities handed him over to the U.S. on charges of drug trafficking. He has been on the run for 13 years since he escaped prison, but managed to avoid capture
U.S. authorities are now calling for the immediate extradition of El Chapo.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
Ex-ISIS child soldier recalls horror of seeing kids playing with severed heads of executed prisoners
ISIS has been known to exploit children and hone them into soldiers and assets for the group. One of them was a boy named Ibrahim, a former ISIS soldier whose horrific experience with the militant group are forever etched on his mind.
- It's not Christian to be nice
- Christian Small Group: The rejected TV pilot
- Earthquakes and floods: Is God punishing people?
- Does money really stop us getting into heaven?
- The Bible study method that helps small groups really work
- Revelation 2: Has the church lost its first love?
- Should Christian charities take atheists' money?
- Top 5 daily prayer apps to help your devotional life
- 'We are living in darkness': The heartbreaking suffering of refugees stranded in Greece
- Italy earthquake: State funeral held for 35 victims
- Denmark: Friday prayers held at Scandinavia's first female-led mosque
- Scottish police call on help of priest to get rid of 'poltergeist' causing trouble inside a house
- Boko Haram leaves 1.4 million children displaced, dozens used as suicide bombers - Unicef
- Burkini ban suspended by top French court over 'breach of fundamental freedoms'
- Foundation backs Christian baker in U.S. Supreme Court case over religious freedom