'Star Wars Episode 8' latest news: Benicio Del Toro praises director Rian Johnson

Star Wars LucasFilm

"Star Wars: Episode VIII" has begun its pre-production filming in Ireland but won't properly begin shooting scenes until 2016. That being said, actor Benicio Del Toro, who will play an unidentified villain in the film, has spoken with Empire Magazine, already giving praise about what director Rian Johnson brings to the table.

"He's going to bring a cool, sci-fi realism, if I may say that," the actor stated regarding Johnson's filmmaking aesthetic. "I love his film 'Looper,' and I just like talking to him about the film. He's one of those new talented people that 'Star Wars' is hiring to infuse the franchise with new steroids."

Johnson was confimed to be directing the eighth installment in the sci-fi franchise last year, based on a script written by Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. 

Cinema Blend reports that Johnson's career path appears to be the ideal path to prepare the director for "Star Wars: Episode VIII." The report points out that "Brick," the director's debut film, is a "perfect ensemble team," while his second film "The Brother's Bloom" carries a strong sense of humor that will also be needed for "Star Wars."

Johnson's most recent film, the aforementioned "Looper," performed well at the box office and has garnered a 93 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes, making it one of the most widely praised science fiction films in recent years. The film is mostly praised for its character development, compelling story and action sequences.

As previously reported, Del Toro will be portraying a villain in the film although the way he explained his character indicates that his role takes on a neutral or anti-hero story arc instead of purely being on the dark side. It is speculated that he may be portraying a character similar to the mercenary Bobba Fett, who was a villain in the original trilogy.

"Star Wars: Episode VIII" is set to release on May 26, 2017.

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.