'Pacific Rim 2' release date update: Production delayed to 2016

Pacific Rim Legendary Pictures

"Pacific Rim: Maelstrom," the sequel to the 2013 Guillermo del Toro film "Pacific Rim," was initially scheduled to begin production in Toronto in November of this year. However, Latino Review reported that the production has now been delayed to an unspecified date in 2016. 

The media outlet has reached to production company Legendary Pictures regarding why the film's shooting schedule was postponed but the latter hasn't replied as of the time of writing. 

"Pacific Rim: Maelstrom" is currently slated to hit theaters on Aug. 4, 2017 although the report states that the delayed production schedule might mean the release date will also be pushed back a bit. At this point, Legendary Pictures hasn't officially changed the release schedule.

Production for "Pacific Rim: Maelstrom" has been troublesome since the first film hit theaters. As pointed out by Cinema Blend, the first film had a budget of $190 million and took a long time to reach a profitable $411 million take-in globally for the studios to even consider green lighting a sequel. 

Guillermo del Toro is also known for having many projects to work with simultaneously and it came as a surprise to many that he decided to pick up "Pacific Rim: Maelstrom" instead of instantly moving to "Hellboy 3" or his other projects. 

As previously reported, del Toro plans to bring back all of the surviving characters from the first film to the second one. This would almost guarantee the return of lead characters Raleigh (Charlie Hunnam) and Mariko Mori (Rinko Kikuchi) and a possible return of Ron Perlman as the black market tradesman Hannibal Chau. 

The movie's plot will reportedly take place several years following the closure of the Rift and will focus on a world where humans are adjusting to a society without constant Kaiju attacks. According to Cinema Blend, a part of "Maelstrom" will also showcase what happened to the Jaeger pilots such as Raleigh now that they don't have any monsters to fight. 

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.