'Star Wars: Episode 8' news: Film to cast two female leads, says report

Gugu Mbatha-Raw as she appeared in Beyond the Lights Relativity Media

TheWrap recently reported a short list of three actresses vying for the lead female role in Rian Johnson's "Star Wars: Episode VIII." According to a report from Latino-Review, however, there is a fourth actress on that short list and the film is set to have not one but two female leads.

The report states that both female lead characters share the same short list. This list includes Gina Rodriguez, Tatiana Maslany, and Olivia Cooke. New to the list is British talent Gugu Mbatha-Raw. Mbatha-Raw, who starred as the lead in "Beyond the Lights" and was recently seen in "Jupiter Ascending," has reportedly done her audition for the film.

It is also explained in the report that both lead roles are substantial to the film, although any particular details about these roles have not yet been revealed.

According to Cinema Blend, the three previously named actresses have done some screen tests opposite "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" lead John Boyega, who plays Finn, to test what kind of character interactions and chemistry they may have. It is unclear at this point if Mbatha-Raw's audition went through the same process.

The report also points out that other than Olivia Cooke, the actresses on the short list are all aged over 30. Cooke is 21 years old, relatively closer to the age of Boyega, who is now 23. It is unclear, though, if their age has anything to do with the characters they are auditioning for.

It is also cited that at this point, very little is known about "Star Wars: Episode VIII" except for the likelihood of Boyega and Daisy Ridley to continue their roles from "The Force Awakens." There are also speculations of Mark Hamill returning as Luke Skywalker and rumblings of Benicio del Toro portraying the film's villain.

"Star Wars: Episode VIII" hits theaters on May 26, 2017.

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.