'Pacific Rim 2' cast news: movie to bring back first film's survivors

Pacific Rim Legendary Pictures

"Pacific Rim" managed to please the critics and audiences alike and it earned over $411 million from its $190 million budget, guaranteeing a sequel which is now slated for a 2017 release. Director Guillermo del Toro has now revealed that the sequel will include at least half of the original film's cast — those who survived, anyway. 

"I think that everybody or most everybody that survived is back. The rest we killed. We killed half the cast," del Toro told /Film in an interview following his Television Critics Association panel for his FX series "The Strain." 

This means the sequel will most likely see the return of Charlie Hunnam and Rinko Kikuchi as Jaeger pilots Raleigh Becket and Mako Mori, respectively. Charlie Day and Burn Gorman are also likely to return as the obsessed Kaiju experts, scientists Dr. Newton Geiszler and Dr. Hermann Gottlieb.  

There is also a chance of Ron Perlman returning as the black market trader Hannibal Chau, if the story calls for it. Chau was seen being devoured by a baby Kaiju but was able to cut his way out in the film's post-credit scene. 

[Spoiler Warning] Idris Elba's Stacker Pentacost, Robert Kazinsky's Chuck Hansen, the Chinese Jaeger pilots (Mark Luu, Charles Luu, Lance Luu) and the Russian Jaeger pilots (Robert Maillet and Heather Doerksen) all died in the first film, which is reason enough not to expect them to be in the sequel. 

None of the actors have officially signed on but Hunnam and Gorman have collaborated with del Toro again on his upcoming horror flick "Crimson Peak," indicating good working relationships. 

No official plot for "Pacific Rim 2" has been given at the time of writing. It was previously believed that Day and Gorman would become the second film's main protagonists but del Toro shot this rumor down in the same interview. 

"No, no, no, Charlie Day has a great part but so does Charlie Hunnam," the director stated.

"Pacific Rim 2" is currently slated for Aug. 4, 2017. 

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.