New England Patriots NFL 2015 news: Fred Davis released Friday

 Wikipedia

A return from veteran tight end Fred Davis is longer in sight as he was cut by the New England Patriots Friday more than one month after he joined the team signing a one-year deal days after his reinstatement from his 2014 suspension because of violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Davis unknowingly took a banned substance and was suspended making him miss the 2014 season while still with the Washington Redskins.

In his statement through the players association last year Davis said, "Unfortunately, a couple of months ago I took a supplement that contained a banned substance. I now know that supplements are not regulated by the FDA and may contain banned substances. The NFL Policy is strict, and not knowing that a supplement might contain a banned substance doesn't excuse a violation of the policy."

It was the second suspension for the 29-year-old with his first being handed by the NFL back in the 2011 season due to a failed marijuana test.

The 29-year-old was looking to return next season with New England but was released.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was asked Tuesday about Davis and he said the Redskins' Offensive Player of the Year in 2011 was making progress.

"Fred's been here through the whole process, the OTAs; it's a different kind of system for him. He's been out of football for a little while, but [he has] worked hard, very hard, to try to pick things up and learn a new system. He's making progress," Belichik said according to ESPN.

Despite Davis' work ethic and the progress made, the Patriots did not need his services anymore as they already have depth at the tight end position.

New England already has Rob Gronkowski, Scott Chandler and Michael Hoomanawanui with rookies A.J. Derby (sixth round pick) and Jimmay Mundine (undrafted).

Converted tight end Jake Bequette, who was a former defensive end, also joins the list.

Meanwhile, the Patriots inked the 32<sup>nd overall pick in the draft Malcolm Brown to a four-year deal which has a team option for a fifth year.

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.