Meet the man who deactivated President Trump's Twitter account: 'I didn't break any rules,' he says

The former Twitter employee who deactivated President Donald Trump's Twitter account earlier in November opens up about why he did it.

Weeks after President Trump's Twitter account went off air for 11 minutes, Twitter Government has finally found the man who did it. In his home in Germany, Bahtiyar Duysak shared his reason for doing so.

The Germany-raised Turkish man in his 20s was in the United States for a work and study visa. At the time of the incident, he was already toward the end of his stay in the U.S. In fact, it was his last day as a contractor on Twitter.

He was part of the customer support team, at the Trust and Safety division. Their group is in charge of receiving alerts and reports of bad behavior, offensive or illegal tweets, harassment, and impersonation, among others. Their job is to check out these complaints and determine whether they are valid or if any steps should be taken.

According to Duysak, he received such complaint on his very last hour at work. A Twitter user reported Trump's account, just a few minutes before he turned off his computer and his access to the social media platform is officially disconnected.

He said he did just what his job asks him to, he put the wheels in motion to deactivate it, then left the building for good.

Duysak shared he did not think much of it, as he never thought the account would actually be deactivated. While the president has posted some very controversial messages in the past, his position makes these posts "newsworthy," which is why his account is given some sort of protection over there at the Twitter headquarters.

To Duysak's surprise, a woman reached out to him a few hours later, asking him about his connection with the incident.

While the former Twitter employee admits what happened was a "mistake," he is not particularly scared about its repercussions, if any.

"I didn't hack anyone. I didn't do anything that I was not authorized to do. I didn't go to any site I was not supposed to go to. I didn't break any rules," he told TechCrunch.

That, however, did not stop dozens of media outlets from hounding him, his family, and many close friends. He admits he had to delete "hundreds of pictures" from his social media just to protect the people around him.

"I didn't do any crime or anything evil, but I feel like Pablo Escobar," he added, "and slowly it's getting really annoying."

News
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology

The Alliance Defending Freedom warns of more such arrests if the government introduces its much-maligned definition of 'anti-Muslim hatred'.

Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?
Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?

17 February 2026 is Shrove Tuesday, the traditional day for eating pancakes before the start of Lent. This is the story …

CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs
CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs

Most CoE choirs currently have no children involved.

Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal
Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal

A Christian social worker whose offer of a job was withdrawn over public comments he made about marriage and sexuality has won his case at appeal.