Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather 2 fight news: Rematch will happen in 2016 - Freddie Roach believes

Freddie Roach Wikimedia Commons

Manny Pacquiao's coach, Freddie Roach, believes the eight-division champion will have another chance to square-off against the undefeated Floyd Mayweather in 2016 if the Filipino slugger beats a big name or a top contender in his next fight.

"I think he's got a couple of fights left in him. Would he [Mayweather] give him a rematch? Yes. Is that possible? I'm not sure. It's going to have to be a tough opponent, of course," Roach said through Thaboxingvoice according to the Boxingnews24.com.

Pacquioa and Mayweather just faced one another last May 2 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in the match dubbed as the "Fight of the Century" which was the highest-selling boxing fight in history.

Mayweather's defensive skills were in full display in the fight as he scored a unanimous decision victory over his pound-for-pound rival to keep an immaculate record which now stands at 48-0.

After the bout, Pacquiao's camp revealed that he suffered a shoulder injury before facing Mayweather which was aggravated during the bout leading to hindered movements and limited attacks.

The 36-year-old Filipino went through surgery a few days after the fight and since then has been doing a good job with his recovery with Roach saying that he can be back in as early as nine months.

According to Chris Williams of Boxingnews24.com, Pacquiao must beat the likes of Marcos Maidana, Keith Thurman, Miguel Cotto (defeated once via TKO), Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, Danny Garcia or Lucas Matthysse if he wants to solidify his claim for a Mayweather rematch.

Meanwhile, Mayweather said he will step inside the ring for the last time this September against an undetermined opponent yet.

Amir Khan is again being linked to a fight against Mayweather after another successful title defense and the British slugger already stated in an interview that a fight could be confirmed within two weeks.

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.