Church closes again after reopening as coronavirus spreads among congregants

 Facebook/Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle

A church in Georgia which reopened after shuttering due to the COVID-19 pandemic, has shut again after several families reported to have become infected with the virus.

Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle, an independent Baptist congregation in Ringgold, Georgia, opened its doors to in-person services on April 26, just two days after the governor started reopening the state.  However, just 16 days later, the church announced on May 12 it would again suspend in-person services after three members tested positive for COVID-19. The church said only about 25 percent of the congregation attended the service in person and had followed social distancing rules. 

In a formal statement, the church said:

"Our hearts are heavy as some of our families are dealing with the effects of the COVID-19 virus, and we ask for your prayers for each of them as they follow the prescribed protocol and recuperate at home.

"Though we feel very confident of the safe environment we are able to offer in our facilities, the decision was made ... that we would discontinue all in-person services again until further notice in an effort of extreme caution for the safety and well-being of our families."

The first case linked to the church was announced May 12. The following day, the Northwest Georgia Public Health District investigated a total of three cases linked to the church.

Houses of worship throughout Georgia continue to open after restrictions eased last month. However, the Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle church's decision to re-suspend in-person services will have to be noted as churches begin to resume in-person services

Health experts have previously warned that returning too soon to large gatherings could spark another rise in COVID-19 cases. 

News
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain

BBC Two and iPlayer are set to air a new one-hour documentary this Easter charting The Traitors’ winner Harry Clark’s personal pilgrimage from Slough to the Vatican

Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial
Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial

Nesbitt initially indicated that the province would join the trial.

EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey
EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey

Turkey has said the EU is interfering in its internal affairs.

Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection
Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection

The number of Britons giving something up for Lent has fallen sharply over the past decade, according to new research highlighting a significant shift in how the season is observed.