'Bourne 5' news: Upcoming installment set in a 'post-Snowden' world

Matt Damon as Jason Bourne Universal Pictures

Actor Matt Damon recently spoke in an interview with BuzzFeed while promoting his film "The Martian," and was able to give a few details regarding his upcoming film with director Paul Greengrass, the currently untitled fifth "Bourne" film. 

According to Damon, he and the director sought to craft a compelling narrative for a new "Bourne" film set after the George W. Bush presidency, a time period which Damon explained were what the first three films were about. He and Greengrass then found their inspiration after the Edward Snowden scandal which occurred back in 2013. 

"Without giving too much of it away, it's Bourne through an austerity-riddled Europe and in a post-Snowden world. It seems like enough has changed, you know? There are all these kinds of arguments about spying and civil liberties and the nature of democracy," Damon stated in the report. 

Snowden was previously a member of the CIA and United States NSA before he went rogue and revealed numerous spy programs and techniques to several journalists. His exposé revealed how the government and numerous intelligence agencies had invaded the privacy of millions. He is now listed among the world's most wanted. 

Given how "The Bourne Ultimatum" ended with the exposure of Operation Treadstone and Operation Blackbriar, in which illegal programs to train highly skilled assassins such as Jason Bourne (Damon) were sanctioned by the CIA, the next film may deal with the consequences of whistle-blowing information to the public similar to the Snowden incident. 

Damon also explained that filming for "Bourne 5" commences next week and will start in Greece, which he described as "the beginning of democracy," and will finish in Las Vegas, which he described as democracy's "grotesque incarnation." 

The film will see the return of Julia Stiles as Nicky Parsons and the addition of Tommy Lee Jones and Alicia Vikander. "Bourne 5" opens in theaters on July 29, 2016.  

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.