Samsung Galaxy Note 8 release date, specs news: Force Touch, dual cameras among reported features
Samsung is bringing to its upcoming flagship Galaxy S8 what it failed to equip its Galaxy Note 8 with, new reports say. And if the reports are true, the successor to the failed Note 7 will be a true game-changer.
Earlier reports said the Galaxy Note 8 will have a wide Ultra HD display that boasts of 4K resolution. A new report from Korean news site The Investor says it will also feature 3D Touch functionality, the same "Force Touch" that Apple is using for its iPhones and what Huawei uses for its P9 smartphone.
An anonymous source told The Investor that Samsung Display, which supplies OLED panels for Apple and Huawei, is now working on a new technology that has higher sensitivity and boasts of a wider range of pressure levels as compared to the one used in the P9.
While the Galaxy S8 is expected to use 3D Touch for its "virtual home button" that replaces the physical home button, the Galaxy Note 8 is expected to utilise the said technology for its entire screen.
PhoneArena, on the other hand, says the Galaxy Note 8 will be using a dual-camera setup, a first for Samsung. This is because Samsung's own homegrown Exynos 8895 SoC offers support for up to 28MP for both the front and rear camera. If the Galaxy Note 8 makes use of that processor, it simply does make sense for the Korean tech giant to install dual cameras – in both performance and in keeping up with the times.
Aside from these newly-reported specs, earlier reports say the upcoming phablet is a real powerhouse. It is also believed to have a minimum of 6GB of RAM and 64GB or internal storage space, expandable via the use of a microSD card.
The Galaxy Note 8 will also feature a revamped S Pen, one that has an integrated speaker at the top end.
Stay tuned for more updates.
After the huge success of the Pope's TED talk, here are five more to inspire you.
Christians often implore each other to 'pray for our leaders', but what is good leadership? The Bible doesn't feature democracies or political elections, but it has plenty of leaders: pharoahs, kings and emperors to name a few. Scripture has much wisdom and warning for such figures. Here are 11 Bible verses about leadership.
- President Trump's first 100 days: What has he achieved so far?
- Can Pope Francis do anything to help Egypt's Christians?
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 review: an atheist's God from beyond the stars
- What did Jesus mean when he said 'I am the vine'?
- Five inspiring TED talks you should watch this weekend
- 'He gives wisdom to the wise': 11 Bible verses about leadership
- Christians aren't reading the Bible. Why not, and what can we do about it?
- Pope Francis: Lust for power is like drinking gin on an empty stomach
- Ever feel people don't like you? Maybe it's a spiritual gift
- As floods and mudslides devastate Peru, victims ask for Bibles
- Former terrorist, rebel leader and drug trafficker, now a courageous pastor in Mexico
- Middle East Christians receive support from an unlikely place - the Muslim royal family
- Pope, at Cairo Mass, urges unity against fanaticism
- Saudi Arabia 'not paying its fair share' towards defence, says Trump
- German finance minister warns: No free lunch for Britain in Brexit negotiations