'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' release date, news: Final trailer for standalone film drops

Darth Vader (voiced by James Earl Jones) seen in the "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" trailer. Lucasfilm Ltd/Disney

Disney and Lucasfilm surprised everyone during Thanksgiving when it dropped the final official trailer for "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story." While there weren't a lot of new details in the over a minute clip, the teaser was cut in a way that establishes further the premise of the upcoming movie which serves as the first standalone project out of the franchise's gate.

The marketing push for "Rogue One" is obviously more relaxed compared to its contemporary sibling in last year's "Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens." Chalk it up to the time discord between the episodic films and this anthology project. The studio is trying hard to establish its narrative as technically set in between the prequel and the original trilogies and ending only moments from the start of "Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope." While that in itself is a story that has yet to be explored, arguably, the most interesting piece coming from the Gareth Edwards film is the set of new characters. The new game players set to be introduced includes Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones) and her group of rebels who are coming together to steal the plans to the Death Star.

Another plot that elevates the overall story of "Rogue One" is the shared history between the Ersos and new big baddie, Orson Krennic (Ben Mendelsohn). The backstory is further fleshed out in "Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel" which reveals how Galen (Mads Mikkelsen) got involved in creating the massive weapon of destruction. Obviously, the return of Darth Vader (voiced by James Earl Jones) is also a main highlight especially as the time setting allows viewers see the older Skywalker at his most evil.

Meanwhile, as rumored for quite some time now, "Rogue One" will not be sporting the iconic title crawl unique to the "Star Wars" lore. Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy confirmed this in a recent conversation with Variety.

"We felt that's so indicative of what those saga films are," the 63-year-old veteran producer shared. "Initially, we probably will begin the film in a way that is traditional, with just the title."

Kennedy also did not reveal whether they will follow through with the typical space opening shot.

This development follows previous speculations about "Star Wars: Episode VIII" which unlike its predecessors is said to be picking up exactly where "The Force Awakens" left off.

"Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" blasts through cinemas on Dec. 16 and tickets for the flick will go on sale this coming Monday to the delight of many fans. While it is not expected to draw as big of attention as "The Force Awakens," given that it is tied to a lore with a massive fan base, demand for tickets is expected to be really high. The announcement from the official "Star Wars" Twitter account did not specify what time they will start selling but since it will be Cyber Monday as well, it is best to be on the lookout as early possible come Nov. 28.

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.