NES Classic Edition sold out instantly during Best Buy's Monday restock; Nintendo to discontinue production

Featured in the image is Nintendo's NES Classic Edition console. Facebook/nintendo

The much anticipated restock for the NES Classic Edition, which was first launched in November last year, finally landed at Best Buy stores on Monday. Long lines formed outside of the stores, but not everyone was able to get their hands on the highly coveted console. As expected, the NES Classic did not last long on the shelves.

According to Nintendo Wire, reports from South Philadelphia, to Chicago, to Chula Vista state that all stocks of the NES Classic Edition have sold out instantly. Only limited quantities were supplied to Best Buy stores, averaging between 11 and 20 consoles. Some branches did not even receive shipments of the product, as reported by the publication.

It was reported earlier this month that Nintendo will be discontinuing the NES Classic and retailers will receive the last shipments throughout this month. A representative for Nintendo provided a statement to IGN, which said, "Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product."

Additionally, the publication states that a representative revealed that the console was not supposed to be a long-term product. However, due to high demand, Nintendo decided to extend production and roll out extra shipments. After this month, the company will no longer be producing more of the popular console for North America, but Nintendo also has not confirmed whether or not this announcement means that the NES Classic will be discontinued worldwide as well.

There has yet to be an announcement whether the Monday restock was already the last or there is another one coming before the month of April ends.

 

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
Thousands attend 'March for Jesus' in Belfast
Thousands attend 'March for Jesus' in Belfast

"The atmosphere was full of joy, faith and the presence of God," said organisers.

'Quiet revival' claims 'laid to rest' once and for all as study shows UK churchgoing continues to fall
'Quiet revival' claims 'laid to rest' once and for all as study shows UK churchgoing continues to fall

New figures from the British Social Attitudes survey also show there are no signs of a religious revival among young people. 

Proposed conversion therapy ban comes up against human rights law
Proposed conversion therapy ban comes up against human rights law

Labour wants to ban so-called 'conversion therapy' but critics point out that abusive practices are already illegal.