MPs slam police over Cliff Richard house search

 David Davies/PA Wire

The search of Cliff Richard's house by police investigating allegations of child sex crimes, which was broadcast live on television, was "inept" and caused "irreparable damage" to the British singer's reputation, lawmakers said on Friday.

Officers raided the home of Richard, 74, one of Britain's best-known entertainers, in August, with the search carried out in the glare of BBC cameras after the broadcaster was given advance warning.

Richard has denied any wrongdoing over the allegations, which date back to the 1980s and involve an underage boy. He has been interviewed under caution by police, but neither arrested nor charged.

The singer was on holiday when the raid was carried out and in a report, parliament's Home Affairs Committee criticised what it said was the unnecessary public nature of the police action.

"South Yorkshire Police's handling of this situation was utterly inept," said the committee's chairman Keith Vaz.

"Sir Cliff Richard has suffered enormous and irreparable damage to his reputation and he is owed an apology over the way matters were handled. We are not surprised that he wishes to sell his home."

South Yorkshire police said they had only allowed the BBC to film the raid because a BBC reporter was planning to break the story that Richard was being investigated. It said the broadcaster agreed to hold off in return for notification about the search of Richard's home in Berkshire, west of London.

The BBC said the police had volunteered information and that it would not have run the story if senior officers had contacted its executives.

"The force should have refused to cooperate and explained to senior BBC News executives why the premature broadcasting of a story, which they claimed the journalist threatened, would have prejudiced the investigation," Vaz said.

South Yorkshire Police said its actions were well-intentioned but ultimately flawed.

"We regret the additional anxiety which was caused to Sir Cliff Richard," it said in a statement.

After the raid, Richard issued a statement saying he had been aware of rumours about him circulating on the Internet and that he would cooperate fully with police.

"The allegations are completely false," he said. "Up until now I have chosen not to dignify the false allegations with a response, as it would just give them more oxygen."

In a letter sent to the Committee during its investigation into the incident, Richard's lawyers strongly criticised the BBC.

It said: "We feel that it is necessary to record that, leaving aside the actions of the police, the actions of the BBC have also caused very serious harm to our client at a time when he had not been interviewed by the police, or of course arrested or charged."

(Reuters)

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
related articles
Sir Cliff Richard\'s house searched by police
Sir Cliff Richard's house searched by police

Sir Cliff Richard's house searched by police

Police and BBC criticised over handling of Sir Cliff Richard allegation
Police and BBC criticised over handling of Sir Cliff Richard allegation

Police and BBC criticised over handling of Sir Cliff Richard allegation

News
‘We’ve had nothing like this’ - over 30,000 attend historic Franklin Graham evangelical gathering in Belarus
‘We’ve had nothing like this’ - over 30,000 attend historic Franklin Graham evangelical gathering in Belarus

The two-day “Festival of Hope”, organised by Franklin Graham and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA), drew almost 31,000 people to Chizhovka Arena in the Belarusian capital.

Despite minor improvements, Saudi Arabia remains a tough place for Christians
Despite minor improvements, Saudi Arabia remains a tough place for Christians

Officially, conversion from Islam carries the death penalty.

Calls to free Nicaraguan Protestant pastor unjustly imprisoned for four years
Calls to free Nicaraguan Protestant pastor unjustly imprisoned for four years

A Christian rights organisation has intensified calls for the release of imprisoned Nicaraguan pastor Efrén Antonio Vílchez López

Church of Scotland urged to adapt funding model
Church of Scotland urged to adapt funding model

The Church of Scotland had an unexpectedly good financial year but more change is needed for long-term financial sustainability.