Conor McGregor next fight news: John McCarthy named referee for Nate Diaz rematch

Connor McGregor [Photo:Commons Wikimedia/Ратмир Херувимов]

With the much-anticipated fight between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz scheduled next month at the UFC 202, the third man to join these two fighters will be the veteran referee John McCarthy, who will oversee the action up-close.

According to Fox Sports, McCarthy has been approved as the official referee for this bout by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. This fight will be on Aug. 20 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. In the first fight between these two fighters, Herb Dean was chosen as the referee, but seeing as McCarthy has been approved, it would be interesting how this bout will turn out.

After all, when McGregor and Diaz were given the chance to voice out their grievances about this referee assignment, neither of these fighters gave any complaints. As for the judges, Derek Cleary, Jeff Mullen and Glenn Trowbridge have been selected by Nevada to officially score the fight. 

With all the officials already set, McGregor and Diaz will meet once again as adversaries in one of the most-awaited rematches of all time. Their first fight ended up as a massive card for UFC a few months ago, where Diaz defeated McGregor via submission in the second round using a rear naked choke.

The first match ended in McGregor's first and only loss, so fans are excited to see him fight inside the Octagon against his nemesis. Furthermore, they want to see if he will be able to succeed in his revenge or get defeated once again in this special welterweight showdown.

According to ESPN, McGregor's longtime coach, John Kavanagh, says that it is the first time McGregor has prepared for a fight on such a scale. He even went so far as to say that with the last couple of weeks of training, McGregor has shown a real level of growth never seen before.

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.