Bill Cosby blocked tabloid story about assault allegations in 2005

Comedian Bill Cosby struck a deal with the National Enquirer in 2005 to give the tabloid an exclusive interview about a woman's sexual-assault accusations after it promised to scrap an article about a second woman's allegations, according to news reports on a newly unsealed deposition given by Cosby.

Cosby described the deal under oath in a deposition in 2005 after he was sued by Andrea Constand, who accused Cosby of drugging and sexually assaulting her.

Cosby agreed to discuss Constand's allegations with the Enquirer if the tabloid agreed not to publish a damaging interview with Beth Ferrier, a former model who described previously unreported allegations of a similar nature, the New York Times reported.

During the past few weeks, more than a dozen women have come forward with accusations that Cosby, 77, sexually assaulted them at some point in the past few decades. NBC and Netflix have since canceled planned projects with Cosby and promoters have pulled out of some of the dates on Cosby's US stand-up comedy tour.

Cosby has repeatedly declined to comment on the allegations, and his lawyers have said they have previously been discredited.

The documents detailing Cosby's 2005 deposition were only recently unsealed at Philadelphia's Federal District Court and released to some news outlets on Wednesday. The clerk's office at the court was unable to provide copies of the documents to Reuters.

"I would give them an exclusive story, my words," Cosby said of his deal with the Enquirer, according to the Times' account of the documents.

"Did you ever think that if Beth Ferrier's story was printed in the National Enquirer, that that would make the public believe that maybe Andrea was also telling the truth?" he was asked.

"Exactly," Cosby replied. The subsequent Enquirer article quoted Cosby complaining that his accusers were trying to exploit his celebrity status and he later settled the suit with Constand on undisclosed terms.

Cosby's agent and lawyer and the National Enquirer did not respond to requests for comment.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
related articles
Bill Cosby allegations: Fresh claims of sexual assault emerge
Bill Cosby allegations: Fresh claims of sexual assault emerge

Bill Cosby allegations: Fresh claims of sexual assault emerge

Embattled Bill Cosby to speak at Christian university
Embattled Bill Cosby to speak at Christian university

Embattled Bill Cosby to speak at Christian university

Christian university bows to pressure, drops Bill Cosby over sex claims
Christian university bows to pressure, drops Bill Cosby over sex claims

Christian university bows to pressure, drops Bill Cosby over sex claims

Bill Cosby\'s alma mater severs ties: \'He no longer has any affiliation...\'
Bill Cosby's alma mater severs ties: 'He no longer has any affiliation...'

Bill Cosby's alma mater severs ties: 'He no longer has any affiliation...'

News
Pleas to remember Africa's forgotten wars
Pleas to remember Africa's forgotten wars

Both Sudan and the DRC have been blighted by endless civil wars.

Christian bookshop named 'champion' by industry association
Christian bookshop named 'champion' by industry association

Green Pastures is believed to be the only Christian bookshop in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Woman cleared of breaching abortion clinic buffer zone
Woman cleared of breaching abortion clinic buffer zone

Claire Brennan was the first person convicted under Northern Ireland's 'safe access' laws.

United Bible Societies celebrates 80 years of ministry with pledge to reach more young people
United Bible Societies celebrates 80 years of ministry with pledge to reach more young people

The United Bible Societies marked eight decades of global ministry this month with the release of a landmark declaration pledging renewed commitment to making Scripture accessible to younger generations worldwide.