A TV ad that was first aired in 2012 made a return to screens over the weekend to remind Americans how important God and religion are to America's history.
The video, which was produced by the Knights of Columbus, is one minute long and featured quotes from six American presidents talking about the role that God and religion played in the foundation of the United States of America.
It aired from February 14 until February 16 and featured Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D Roosevelt, John F Kennedy and Ronald Reagan.
The ad included the following quotes:
- "Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are of the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson
- "This nation has placed its destiny in the hands ... of its millions of free men and women; and its faith in freedom under the guidance of God." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
- "Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington
- "Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged." - Ronald Reagan
- "This nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom." - Abraham Lincoln
- "The rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God." - John F. Kennedy
The Knights of Columbus ran the ad to coincide with President's Day, saying this was the best time to remind Americans that the United States and how its people have been governed has always been influenced by faith in God and in being religious.
"The idea that our rights come from God and that religion has a role to play in our nation's public life is not partisan or sectarian, it is quintessentially American," Supreme Knight Carl Anderson said. "Presidents Day is an excellent opportunity to remind Americans that God is - and has always been - foundational to this country and to our system of ordered liberty."