'Relief' as attempt to legalise abortion up to birth is withdrawn

 (Photo: Unsplash/Heather Mount)

Christian campaign group CARE has spoken of its "huge relief" after proposals to legalise abortion on demand for any reason up to birth were withdrawn during a Commons debate on Monday.

Diana Johnson's amendment to the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill was not put to a vote by MPs.

The radical proposals had also sought to remove conscience protections for medics opposed to abortion, and the requirement for a doctor to be involved in the operation. There were additional fears that the amendment would open the door to sex-selective abortions.

CARE CEO Nola Leach called New Clause 55 a "regressive amendment" that would have removed remaining legal protections for preborn babies in England and Wales. 

"Most people believe that preborn babies have value and importance which increases as they grow, and that this should be recognised in the law," she said. 

"We also know that babies are capable of living outside the womb from around 22 weeks.

"Most European nations have a lower legal limit than the UK for these reasons. UK politicians should be backing moves to lower the legal limit for abortion, not raise it." 

Under current laws, abortions are legal up to 24 weeks, except in cases of disability, which are legal up to birth.

A study in 2017 found that just 1% of women think the time limit on abortion should be raised from 24 weeks to birth. A staggering 70% said the time limit should be lowered. The study also found support for a ban on sex-selective abortion among 91% of women.

Ms Leach continued, "If this amendment had been adopted, we would have seen more abortions, greater harms to women, and more blatant discrimination against unborn babies.

"We would also have seen the right of pro-life medics to conscientiously object to abortion quashed. It is shocking that it was brought forward, and I hope MPs will continue to reject such extreme proposals in the years ahead."

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.