Craig Spencer update: Doctor tests positive for Ebola, admitted to Bellevue Hospital in New York City


A doctor who has just returned to New York City after treating Ebola patients in Guinea has tested positive for the virus Thursday.

This is the first documented case of the Ebola Virus in the Big Apple.

The doctor, Craig Spencer, is currently at New York City's Bellevue Hospital and has been placed in isolation.

Meanwhile, officials are trying to contact anyone who had been in contact with Spencer recently.

Spencer, 33, reportedly travelled from Manhattan to Brooklyn on the subway on Wednesday night. He is also reported to have went to a bowling alley before taking a taxi home, as reported by the New York Times.

However, he woke up with a high temperature Thursday morning before he was eventually admitted to the hospital.

In a statement released by the health department, despite Spencer not having displayed Ebola symptoms previously, health officials have dispatched "disease detectives immediately began to actively trace all of the patient's contacts to identify anyone who may be at potential risk."

Spencer's home is based in Harlem, and his home has been sealed off.

Mayor Bill de Blasio stated: "Our understanding is that very few people were in direct contact with him."

Spencer had been working to treat Ebola patients in Africa with Doctors Without Borders. He is understood to have worn his protective gear while treating patients and had also been monitoring his own health.

Doctors Without Borders released a statement today, saying: "The individual engaged in regular health monitoring and reported this development immediately."

Spencer is said to have felt sluggish since Tuesday but did not develop a high fever until Thursday morning.

He is currently being held in a special isolation unit and is being seen by the medical care team which is prepared to take on such patients.

The hospital stated: "He is a committed and responsible physician who always puts his patients first. He has not been to work at our hospital and has not seen any patients at our hospital since his return from overseas."