Chilean victim of clerical abuse to urge Pope Francis to fire 'toxic' bishops

A Chilean man who was sexually abused by a priest as a boy will urge Pope Francis to fire 'toxic' bishops who covered up the assaults, he said yesterday ahead of a face-to-face meeting with the pope.

Juan Carlos Cruz, who has become a symbol of the Church's abuse crisis, will spend several days in the Vatican as a guest of the pope in the residence where he lives.

Strong papal action in Chile would send a long-overdue message to the entire Church, Cruz told Reuters in an interview.

'I would say "hold these bishops accountable, fire a few of them, if not many of them, but fire them and not give them a cushy job here at the Vatican,"' he said.

'Like in a company [I would say] "you need to be preparing your resumé". That's what I would say to these bishops.'

Cruz and two other victims, Jimmy Hamilton and Jose Andres Murillo, are each due to spend several hours with the pope on a visit that follows an extraordinary letter on April 11 in which Francis acknowledged he had made 'grave mistakes' in handling the sexual abuse crisis in Chile.

In that letter, Francis said there had been a 'lack of truthful and balanced information' about the situation in Chile. He invited the victims whose words he had once dismissed as 'slander' to the Vatican to seek their forgiveness and ordered all of Chile's bishops to a summit with him next month.

'I hope the Holy Father realises that he is surrounded by some toxic people who need to leave,' Cruz said, adding that some Chilean bishops were 'guilty of misinforming the pope'.

Cruz, who now lives in the US, was a victim of Rev Fernando Karadima who was found guilty in a Vatican investigation in 2011 of abusing boys in Santiago in the 1970s and 1980s.

Cruz and other victims have accused Bishop Juan Barros of the diocese of Osorno of having witnessed the abuse by Karadima, who was Barros's mentor in Santiago.

Karadima, now 87 and still living in Chile, has always denied the allegations and Barros said he was unaware of any wrongdoing.

But Barros and other bishops were put under the spotlight in January when the pope sent one of the Vatican's most experienced sexual abuse investigators, Archbishop Charles Scicluna of Malta, to New York and Chile to talk to victims and bishops.

Scicluna produced a 2,300-page report, which prompted the pope to call next month's meeting.

Cruz said he hoped the pope would take decisive action in order to 'send a message to the world that Chile is an example of what's going to happen all over if this culture of abuse and cover up continues'.

He said he was confident that some good would come out of his meeting with the pope. Francis is due to have extended meetings with each of the three men individually over the weekend and then together on Monday.

'I told him, "Holy father, I do not want to be used as a PR exercise,"' he said. 'Good or beautiful words or tears will not cut it. There has to be concrete action taken. There's no more time left.'

Additional reporting by Reuters.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
Christian aid organisations mobilise emergency Ebola response in Democratic Republic of Congo
Christian aid organisations mobilise emergency Ebola response in Democratic Republic of Congo

Christian aid organisations are mobilising emergency health responses in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) following a deadly Ebola outbreak in the country’s north-east that has prompted international concern.

Three Baptist pastors killed in Manipur ambush after peace conference
Three Baptist pastors killed in Manipur ambush after peace conference

The victims were senior leaders of the Thadou Baptist Association India (TBAI), a Baptist denomination rooted in the Thadou-Kuki community of Manipur.

Over 1,000 gather in Blackpool for Diocese of Blackburn centenary celebration
Over 1,000 gather in Blackpool for Diocese of Blackburn centenary celebration

Over 1,000 Christians from across Lancashire gathered in the heart of Blackpool over the weekend for a large-scale public celebration marking the centenary year of the Church of England’s Diocese of Blackburn.

Christian group has mixed feelings about new trans guidance
Christian group has mixed feelings about new trans guidance

The NHS can no longer hide behind the "waiting for guidance" excuse, but a Christian group fears that inaction will still be the order of the day as the guidance does not extend to workplaces.