Pastor shot in head in road rage incident regains consciousness; 'It's a miracle he survived,' says sheriff

Straight Way to HeavenSteven Simon (second from r.)

A pastor shot in the head in a road rage incident has regained consciousness

Pastor Steven Simon awoke last week, and was able to give Florida police a description of the suspect and vehicle involved in a road rage incident that left him with a gunshot wound to the head.

Simon was driving on a West Palm Beach highway when he was shot by another driver at close range. Police are still looking for the suspect – described as a white man with white hair, driving a gold Chrysler Concorde.

Simon's passenger, Lovelyn Salomon, told police that on July 31 at around 10 p.m., the Honda Pilot that Simon was driving accidentally cut off the Chrysler in traffic on Interstate 95, New York Daily News. The Chrysler changed lanes, then pulled in front of Simon and slowed down. When Simon changed lanes to get from behind the Chrysler, the car drove up to Simon's left, rolled down the window, and fired one or two shots.

Martin County Sheriff William Snyder told the Sun Sentinel that Simon, 22, and Salomon, 25, had just left a church service.

The Straight Way to Heaven A.O.K. (Advancement of the Kingdom) Ministries pastor was taken to the Lawnwood Regional Medical Center in Fort Pierce, and placed in a medically-induced coma. He awoke on August 4, and told police he wants the shooter brought to justice.

"He's very adamant about the description of the vehicle, description of the suspect and he does want justice," Sheriff Snyder said. "He wants us to catch this offender."

Police say there is no evidence that the two men knew each other.

Two GoFundMe crowdfunding pages have been created to support Simon's wife, Emma, their two children, Jed and Jael, and Straight Way to Heaven, as they navigate Simon's recovery. The first page – created by Emma – has received over $3,000, and the second page – created by Pastor Richard D. Weaver, Sr., a colleague of Simon – has received over $2,000.

Snyder reported that Simon is recovering well.