Christians continue to suffer various atrocities in the hands of Boko Haram in Nigeria, despite the country's new leadership's pledge to stop violence being committed by the Islamic extremist group.
Over 1,000 individuals, both Christians and Muslims, have been slain by the terrorist group during the first 100 days of Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari.
Buhari, who assumed office on May 29, pledged to drive out Boko Haram from his country and crush it before yearend, but his administration has so far failed in eliminating or even minimising the extremist group's threat to Christians and Muslims alike.
Boko Haram continues in full force to conduct raids in parts of Nigeria, resulting in the internal displacement of close to 2.1 million Christians and Muslims, according to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).
States in northeastern Nigeria, particularly Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Taraba and Yobe, are most affected by Boko Haram's raids, although their presence is also felt in the capital, Abuja.
The IOM noted that the number of individuals being affected by Boko Haram's terror campaign continues to rise under Buhari's presidency.
"The increase ... can be attributed to the intensification of attacks carried out by the insurgents, as well as to improved access to previously inaccessible areas of Borno state, where the IDP population is now well over 1.6 million," the IOM explained.
Enira Krdzalic, IOM Nigeria chief of mission, meanwhile said Christians and other populations displaced due to Boko Haram's raids also suffer in camp-like communities where they find refuge away from the violence perpetrated by the terror group.
"Many internally displaced persons, especially in host communities, have yet to receive basic items including food and shelter. It is very important for the authorities and humanitarian partners to speed up the delivery of adequate assistance to these people," Krdzalic said.
Aside from these, some 70 percent of Christian churches have reportedly been destroyed by Boko Haram raids.
Despite these continued atrocities, Femi Adesina, special adviser to the president on media and publicity, said Buhari is still on track in his efforts to wipe out the Boko Haram.
"The president has said the deadline to defeat Boko Haram is December this year. The president made a promise in July that Boko Haram would be defeated in 18 months, now he has changed it to December this year. He is the commander in chief and he has a wider view of the whole thing," Adesina said in an earlier interview.