Jared Leto Oscars acceptance speech VIDEO: Actor thanks mother in heartfelt speech
Jared Leto took home the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor at the 2014 Oscars tonight.
Other nominees for the Best Supporting Actor are:
Barkhad Abdi -- "Captain Phillips"
Bradley Cooper -- "American Hustle"
Jonah Hill -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Michael Fassbender -- "12 Years a Slave"
Dressed in a white shirt and red bow-tie, the Dallas Buyers Club actor received his golden statuette before delivering his heartfelt acceptance speech.
"Incredible. Ellen, I love you. To my fellow nominees, I'm so proud to share this journey with you. I'm in awe and have so much respect for you all. To the Academy, thank you."
He then thanked his mother. "In 1971, in Bossier City Louisiana, there was a teenage girl who was pregnant with her second child. She was a high school dropout and a single mom, but somehow she managed to make a better life for herself and her children. She encouraged her kids to be creative and work hard and do something special. That girl was my mother and she's here tonight. I just want to say 'I love you mom, thank you for teaching me to dream."
Leto continued, "To my brother Shannon, the best big brother in the world: Thank you so much for sharing this insane adventure that is 30 Seconds to Mars and for being my best friend.
"To all the dreamers out there around the world watching this tonight in places like Ukraine and Venezuela, I want to to say we are here, and as you struggle to make your dreams happen and live the impossible, we are thinking of you tonight."
He concluded: "This is for the 36 million people who have lost the battle to AIDS. And to those of you who have ever felt injustice because of who you are and who you love, I stand here in front of the world with you and for you. Thank you so much, and good night."
Watch Jared Leto's Oscars acceptance speech video below:
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- President Trump's first 100 days: What has he achieved so far?
- Can Pope Francis do anything to help Egypt's Christians?
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 review: an atheist's God from beyond the stars
- What did Jesus mean when he said 'I am the vine'?
- Five inspiring TED talks you should watch this weekend
- 'He gives wisdom to the wise': 11 Bible verses about leadership
- Christians aren't reading the Bible. Why not, and what can we do about it?
- Pope Francis: Lust for power is like drinking gin on an empty stomach
- Ever feel people don't like you? Maybe it's a spiritual gift
- German finance minister warns: No free lunch for Britain in Brexit negotiations
- Pentagon admits friendly fire may have killed US troops in Afghanistan
- Executed man was 'coughing and convulsing', lawyer calls for probe
- North Korea test-fires ballistic missile in defiance of world pressure
- Pope Francis in Egypt: 'Let us say "No" to violence in God's name'
- Pastor arrested over 'extremist' Josh McDowell book 'More Than A Carpenter'