Hurricane Barbara 2013 Path Map [VIDEO]: Category 1 hurricane to make landfall on Mexico's Pacific coast
Hurricane Barbara 2013 is heading towards Mexico's southern Pacific coast.
The hurricane is expected to make landfall before the end of the day, according to forecasters.
Emergency shelters are now being prepared by officials in the southern coastal state of Oaxaca.
Classes in schools were also suspended in the region on Wednesday as heavy rains moved into the area ahead of the hurricane.
Hurricane Barbara was located on Wednesday afternoon about 65 miles east southeast of Salina Cruz, Mexico.
It is expected to hit the east coast near the port city of Salina Cruz, which to a large extent is undeveloped with coastal lagoons stretching up the coast spotted with various fishing villages.
Experts have predicted that the hurricane will weaken significantly as soon as it makes landfall, and should be a lot weaker by the time it reaches the major oil port of Coatzacoalcos, which is located on the other side of the narrow waist of Mexico known as the Isthmus of Tehuantepec.
Officials have issued a hurricane warning for the Pacific coast from Puerto Angel to Barra de Tonala. It is expected that Hurricane Barbara will hit with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph as a Category 1 hurricane.
Some reports out of the region have said that heavy rains have already begun to flood some residences along the coastal regions, and those living in the region are bracing themselves Wednesday evening for the hurricane's arrival.
Strom shelters have been set up in 20 towns and hamlets, according to AP, and it has already been announced that school classes in the area will be closed for the entire week.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Sun, snow and storms: What role does weather play in the Bible?
- Sermon of the Year winner: 'God in the dark'
- Why 'The Benedict Option' is a good option for Christians
- We have them for schools and universities. Why not a league table for churches?
- Should I care about Martin Luther's 95 Theses?
- A martyr for our moment: 3 lessons from the radical Christian sacrifice of St Alban
- Cathedrals in crisis? Three ways we could support their growing ministry
- Most religious groups support gay marriage - with the exception of white evangelical Christians
- One reason your church may not be growing – and five things that might help
- Reports say 100 Christians may be hostages in Philippines battle between army and Islamist rebels
- Oil tanker explosion kills more than 120 in Pakistan
- 34 Tower blocks have failed fire safety checks across the country
- Landslide buries mountain village in southwest China, fears for 141 people
- Trump, Putin and Erdogan behave like autocratic rulers - Germany's Schulz
- Chile's President asks forgiveness from indigenous Mapuche ahead of Pope visit