Hurricane Barbara 2013 Path Map [VIDEO]: Category 1 hurricane to make landfall on Mexico's Pacific coast
Hurricane Barbara 2013 is heading towards Mexico's southern Pacific coast.
The hurricane is expected to make landfall before the end of the day, according to forecasters.
Emergency shelters are now being prepared by officials in the southern coastal state of Oaxaca.
Classes in schools were also suspended in the region on Wednesday as heavy rains moved into the area ahead of the hurricane.
Hurricane Barbara was located on Wednesday afternoon about 65 miles east southeast of Salina Cruz, Mexico.
It is expected to hit the east coast near the port city of Salina Cruz, which to a large extent is undeveloped with coastal lagoons stretching up the coast spotted with various fishing villages.
Experts have predicted that the hurricane will weaken significantly as soon as it makes landfall, and should be a lot weaker by the time it reaches the major oil port of Coatzacoalcos, which is located on the other side of the narrow waist of Mexico known as the Isthmus of Tehuantepec.
Officials have issued a hurricane warning for the Pacific coast from Puerto Angel to Barra de Tonala. It is expected that Hurricane Barbara will hit with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph as a Category 1 hurricane.
Some reports out of the region have said that heavy rains have already begun to flood some residences along the coastal regions, and those living in the region are bracing themselves Wednesday evening for the hurricane's arrival.
Strom shelters have been set up in 20 towns and hamlets, according to AP, and it has already been announced that school classes in the area will be closed for the entire week.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Generous leadership: What Moses has to teach pastors today
- The profound Christian faith of Vincent van Gogh
- You can transform the world through love: here's how
- The hidden crisis facing Iraq's refugees – their medicines have run out
- Tribes, tensions and gay marriage: What's the future for the Church of England?
- 'Life' might just be the most anti-Christian movie you'll see this year
- 'People all over the world are praying for you': Billy Graham chaplains help those affected by London terror
- 'Love divine, all loves excelling': 7 inspiring hymns by Charles Wesley
- How do evil spirits work? Can we inherit them from our ancestors?
- After London's terror attack, should I still evangelise my Muslim neighbour?
- Mother of Palestinian shot by Israeli forces last year in Jerusalem is also killed
- Pastor prays for Lazarus-style miracle that dead wife will be resurrected by God
- Christian President of Lebanon controversially declares Christians are 'no longer in direct danger' in Middle East
- Judge throws out class action against Christian group brought by LGBT activists
- Q&A explainer: Why are ultra-Orthodox Jews protesting in Jerusalem against the State of Israel?