Happy Prostitute Ads PHOTOS [VIDEO]: Did campaign glamorize prostitution?
"Happy Prostitute Ads" commissioned by the Healthy Ministry in Brazil to promote safe sex has backfired.
The online campaign, which featured slogans such as "I'm happy being a prostitute" and "I cannot be seen without a condom, my love," have been scrapped after it received wide criticism and backlash for glamorizing prostitution.
The ad had intended to educate the public about sexually transmitted diseases and to reduce prejudice against prostitution.
The Health Ministry's head Alexander Padilha said: "The role of the ministry is to have specific content to encourage prevention among sex workers. He issued a statement after the offensive ad was pulled, saying, "I do not think this is a message the ministry should be sending. For as long as I remain in office and add like that will not be part of our campaigns."
Extreme poverty has been forcing many young men and women in Brazil to turn to prostitution, where it is legal in the country.
Prostitution in Brazil is expected to spike as the country prepares for the biggest sporting events in the coming years – the FIFA World Cup in 2014 and the 2016 Olympics. Prostitutes are reportedly learning foreign languages so they can communicate with future clients.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- What's really wrong with what Katie Hopkins said about Manchester
- After Manchester, 6 commandments for social media
- When Santa punched a heretic: Who was Saint Nicholas?
- WATCH: Pastor claims to be speaking to 'God' and 'Heaven' on his cell phone
- Thousands of Russian Orthodox faithful revere relics of St Nicholas in historic display
- Pope Francis: I was nicknamed 'stiff leg' during football at school
- How Martin Luther changed the world: 500 years of Protestantism
- The doctor who gave up his comfortable life for people with leprosy: 'Being out of my comfort zone has forced us to trust God.'
- William Gladstone's eight greatest quotes on the day he died
- Archbishops of Canterbury and York urge Manchester: 'Please do not be divided'
- Trump in Israel pays tribute to victims of Holocaust, 'history's darkest hour'
- 'I forgive and accept': Christian former governor of Jakarta withdraws appeal over imprisonment for 'insulting Islam'
- 'Justice is all we want': Fight for American pastor jailed in Turkey continues
- Manchester attack: Queen offers prayers and praise for people of Manchester
- Ivanka Trump to discuss human trafficking at Vatican as President meets Pope Francis