Emma Coronel Aispuro PHOTOS: El Chapo Guzman's wife was arrested with drug lord
Mexico's most wanted drug lord Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman was finally captured this weekend, but many were curious as to where his former beauty queen wife Emma Coronel was at the time of his arrest.
An unidentified woman was arrested alongside El Chapo on Saturday, Feb. 22, but and there was speculation that the woman was indeed be El Chapo's wife.
Officials have confirmed that the woman who was with him at the time of his arrest was Emma Coronel. The fugitive was reportedly cooking for his wife when the Mexican marines barged into beachside condo.
El Chapo, 55, headed the most powerful drug-trafficking cartel, known as the Sinaloa cartel. He was listed by Forbes as one of the most powerful people, with an estimated $1 billion net worth.
Emma Coronel is the third wife of the drug lord. She was just 18 years old when she caught the eye of the billionaire drug-lord in 2007 after winning a beauty contest. In 2011, gave birth to their twin daughters in California. Coronel is both an American and Mexican citizen.
Coronel was under the U.S. authority's radar but they were unable to do anything as she was a U.S. citizen and had not broken any laws herself.
El Chapo was previously arrested in 2001, but somehow managed to escape from Mexico's Puente Grande prison in a laundry basket before authorities handed him over to the U.S. on charges of drug trafficking. He has been on the run for 13 years since he escaped prison, but managed to avoid capture
U.S. authorities are now calling for the immediate extradition of El Chapo.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- President Trump's first 100 days: What has he achieved so far?
- Can Pope Francis do anything to help Egypt's Christians?
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 review: an atheist's God from beyond the stars
- What did Jesus mean when he said 'I am the vine'?
- Five inspiring TED talks you should watch this weekend
- 'He gives wisdom to the wise': 11 Bible verses about leadership
- Christians aren't reading the Bible. Why not, and what can we do about it?
- Pope Francis: Lust for power is like drinking gin on an empty stomach
- Ever feel people don't like you? Maybe it's a spiritual gift
- Polls show Labour gaining on Tories, though still trailing
- Trump at 100 days rally: 'I'm just getting started'
- As floods and mudslides devastate Peru, victims ask for Bibles
- Former terrorist, rebel leader and drug trafficker, now a courageous pastor in Mexico
- Middle East Christians receive support from an unlikely place - the Muslim royal family
- Pope, at Cairo Mass, urges unity against fanaticism