Emma Coronel Aispuro PHOTOS: El Chapo Guzman's wife was arrested with drug lord
Mexico's most wanted drug lord Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman was finally captured this weekend, but many were curious as to where his former beauty queen wife Emma Coronel was at the time of his arrest.
An unidentified woman was arrested alongside El Chapo on Saturday, Feb. 22, but and there was speculation that the woman was indeed be El Chapo's wife.
Officials have confirmed that the woman who was with him at the time of his arrest was Emma Coronel. The fugitive was reportedly cooking for his wife when the Mexican marines barged into beachside condo.
El Chapo, 55, headed the most powerful drug-trafficking cartel, known as the Sinaloa cartel. He was listed by Forbes as one of the most powerful people, with an estimated $1 billion net worth.
Emma Coronel is the third wife of the drug lord. She was just 18 years old when she caught the eye of the billionaire drug-lord in 2007 after winning a beauty contest. In 2011, gave birth to their twin daughters in California. Coronel is both an American and Mexican citizen.
Coronel was under the U.S. authority's radar but they were unable to do anything as she was a U.S. citizen and had not broken any laws herself.
El Chapo was previously arrested in 2001, but somehow managed to escape from Mexico's Puente Grande prison in a laundry basket before authorities handed him over to the U.S. on charges of drug trafficking. He has been on the run for 13 years since he escaped prison, but managed to avoid capture
U.S. authorities are now calling for the immediate extradition of El Chapo.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Brian Houston, Hillsong pastor and founder, reflects on God's unlimited love
- Who was the meanest man in the Bible?
- Selfie-obsessed tourists threaten church 'sacred space', says Oxford priest
- 700 child refugees from South Sudan every week: 700 World Vision bears on St Paul's stairs
- Why we need to start honouring young people as theologians
- After surviving breast cancer, this Christian woman has come up with a new programme to help other trauma sufferers
- The wisdom of John Stott: 9 quotes from a giant of 20th century evangelicalism
- Why the gospel made me give up fast fashion
- She was naked, her hair in the Egyptian style, when the Babylonians destroyed Jerusalem
- Peaceful end to Friday prayers in Jerusalem ushers in hopes of calm ahead
- Reprieve for Iranian Christian who threatened to starve himself to death
- God can sometimes be silent, but he is never absent: Brian Houston talks to Christian Today
- Hundreds of Muslims converting to Christianity in Finland, churches say
- Missionary held captive with ISIS jihadis begged God to free him - until he brought cellmates to Jesus and realized his suffering had a purpose
- Radical feminist group claims responsibility for Mexico bishops HQ bombing