Boko Haram attacks leave over 90 Nigerians dead in Borno and Yobe States

(AP Photo/Jon Gambrell)In this photo dated 6 June 2013, soldiers stand guard at the offices of the state-run Nigerian Television Authority in Maiduguri, Nigeria. The radical group Boko Haram once attacked only government institutions and security forces, but now increasingly targets civilians.

Over 90 Nigerians in Borno and Yobe States are dead following recent attacks from militant group Boko Haram.

The terrorists gunned down villagers in Marte Local Government Area (LGA), Gwoza LGA, Gujba LGA, and Biu LGA on May 25, 26, and 28.

On Wednesday, Gurmushi Village in Marte LGA, Borno State was attacked. Christian Solidarity Worldwide (CSW) reported that the village was completely destroyed, and at least 40 people were killed.

The Chinene Village in the Chikide-Joghode-Kaghum Ward of Gwoza LGA, Borno State was targeted on Monday. Boko Haram killed eight people, destroyed six churches, and leveled several homes. The group also attacked and killed one person in Amuda Village, Gwoza LGA.

Another Boko Haram sect raided Buni Yadi, Gujba LGA, Yobe State on Monday. Law enforcement and military posts were destroyed in an attack that targeted military officers. At least two civilians, 11 police officers, and 14 soldiers were killed in a two-hour assault.

On Sunday, Kumuyya Village in Biu LGA, Borno State was attacked. According to CSW, Boko Haram members demanded the villagers pay the equivalent over $1,500 for "God's work," but only about $400 was collected. The terrorist destroyed the villagers' market stalls, and killed nearly 20 people as punishment.

VOA AfricaBoko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau calls for release of prisoners in exchange for kidnapped schoolgirls.

Boko Haram was founded in 2002, but has become increasingly violent since Abubakar Shekau assumed leadership in 2009.

The group became internationally known after kidnapping over 270 children from an all-girls school in Chibok, Nigeria on April 14. A second mass kidnapping occurred on May 4 in Warabe.

Nigerian officials announced Monday that they know where the girls are, but have not decided how they will bring the victims back safely.

Nigerian Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh said that the military needs more time to devise a plan.

"We can't kill our girls in the name of trying to get them back," he told reporters.

"Just leave us alone, we are working to get the girls back."